Chapter 34 - Whole Again

Start from the beginning

I looked again at Jake’s parents. Jose seemed aloof, pensive in his own world. And Felicia... she started to cry, silent tears streaming down her face. Oh God, I wanted to go to her and hug her, tell her Jake forgave her, but I couldn’t do that. It was Jake’s job. So I stood my ground and tugged on Jake’s shirt before looking up at him. It was tearing me up inside, seeing him so shaken and shocked, lost as to how he should react to his mom displaying some affection. He was speechless.

“I-I’m not even going to argue with you because you’re right, Jacob.” His mom said, her voice shaky with tears. 

“Mom, um, please? Can you stop crying?” Jake asks, his voice distant and awkward. This wan’t him. Jake didn’t just stand there and watch people cry. I of all should know that. Somehow I understood him because I couldn’t expect him to just forgive his parents who shoved him to the side as if he was nothing, caring more about making money in Miami than about their own son. But he couldn’t be cruel.

I tugged on his shirt, looking up at him and waiting for him to look at me. When he did, his eyes softened, showing me how confused he was. It’s okay, I mouthed and he nodded, holding me tighter for his own support now. I wrapped my arm around his waist and ran my hand slowly up and down his side in hopes of soothing him.

“Jake, darling, I’ll be a better mother. I promise. I’ll be here for you.” His mom speaks and the two of us look at her, her eyes red and swollen with desperation. Jake sighs beside me and I feel his body release with the air he let out. I looked up at him, his eyes and expression were strong.

“You don’t need to, Mom. I’ve learned to live without parents.” He says, his tone honest and soft. It made me think of a polite rejection from a stranger and the thought hurt.

“I’m sure you have, Jake but I’d like to try anyway if you let me.” Felicia paused, her eyes suddenly hopeful. “I’d like to see my grandchild.” 

“Then come.” Jacob said beside me, strong and indifferent. 

***

Jake and I pulled up in front of my house and his parents soon followed, parking behind us.

“I’m so going to regret this.” Jake mutters as he stops the car, looking awkwardly in front of him.   I take his hand and give it a squeeze.

“Cheer up, babe.” I smile. “Everything will be great.”

Jake smiles in return but he doesn’t seem too sold. “Great.” He scoffs in disbelief and I roll my eyes, chuckling at his pessimism. 

When we get out of the car, I wait for his parents to catch up and from the corner of my eye I see him standing stubbornly to the corner, hands in his pockets. I want to laugh at his adorable idiocy. 

Felicia catches sight of me and smiles, coming up to me. “Hi, Evelyn. I didn’t get the chance to say hello back there.” She says, blushing in shame and I smile brightly at her in reassurance. “You look beautiful.” She complimented, taking me into a light hug and giving me the traditional Cuban kiss on the cheek. 

I smiled warmly at her before speaking, “Come on. My mom would be happy to see you.” And she nods, walking with me. I see Jose following distantly behind us. Hmph, that’s were Jacob gets his stubborn pride from. 

As I passed Jacob, I extended my hand out to him and smiled softly to myself when he took it. I got my key out from my pocket and unlocked the door.

“Mom, we’re back!” I call out then turn around to Jake’s parents. “Come in.” I add, smiling welcomingly, and the two of them step inside.