Chapter 10: A Life Without Rage

This chapter is based on the Dhammapada section called typically "Anger." With just a few verses, it talks about how if left unchecked, anger will rule and destroy our lives.

Müller version 

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2017/2017-h/2017-h.htm#link2HCH0017

231. Beware of bodily anger, and control thy body! Leave the sins of the body, and with thy body practise virtue!

232. Beware of the anger of the tongue, and control thy tongue! Leave the sins of the tongue, and practise virtue with thy tongue!

233. Beware of the anger of the mind, and control thy mind! Leave the sins of the mind, and practise virtue with thy mind!

234. The wise who control their body, who control their tongue, the wise who control their mind, are indeed well controlled. 

My 'paraphrased' version 

Do not be trapped by the negative emotions flowing through your physical being. Instead, train your physical being for skillful use. 

Do not be trapped by speaking hurtful words. Instead, train your speech for skillful use. 

Do not be trapped by the resentments of the mind. Instead, train your mind for skillful use. Those that guide well their physical essence, words, and mind are indeed skillful beings. 

Commentary 

Well ahead of his time, the Buddha understood how negative emotions and harmful mind states could permeate easily throughout our body and tongue. And like a wildfire, they could consume our every pore. In modern times, medical research showed the harmful impact that expressed or suppressed anger can have in shortening our lives. For the sense of good health and a calmer lifestyle, these damaging feelings should be avoided at all costs.

If anger does come visit you, recognize what is happening. Someone once said that you can tell the maturity of a person by the things that make them angry. Anger typically comes from some sense of lack, a 'great' injustice, a perceived threat of status, and many other scarcity-driven reasons. Breathe, observe within, seek to understand why your mind feels so threatened. Start to relax your mind and body. Say "It's okay." Walk away from the situation if you can. In time, you will learn that this emotion is not the real you. It is just a fluid mind state that will quickly pass. Another seemingly innocent story attempting to entrap you. 

But some will go down a different path. In their playbook, they are always the 'permanent victims'. Their shallow viewpoint is to see almost all others as someone that already have or will wrong them soon. To deal with this constant 'threat', they attack relentlessly. With harsh words fueled by their emotions and a 'wronged' mind. After all, it is fair if it is 'truly' self-defense. But this approach solves little. Friends will begin to avoid them. Self-satisfaction will be temporary and unsatisfying. Stay clear of these toxic souls.

 In this Dhammapada chapter, the Buddha talks about how everyone will get blamed sometime in their lives whether they are silent or speak. In his own lifetime, the Buddha encountered many angry people. But he did not react to them or fuel their negativity. The practice of compassion and equanimity allowed him to distance himself from the actor and the act. He viewed anger as a gift that he was being offered. But though his silence, it was one that he did not accept. So, the anger stayed only with its originator. And did not escalate. This simple story is a powerful lesson that we all can learn from. We do not have to go far to deal with anger. It is always within or a few steps away. 

Some may ask at this point, "I understand about 'everyday anger.' But what about righteous anger? After all, aren't there some real inequalities and injustice in the world?" Yes, the world is not always a fair place. There are those that have lost family members and loved ones, their country and homes, their way of life, and more. But rather than resort to violence and rage, they chose to fuel their emotions into positive energy. One does not have to look far to find many past and living examples that have done this. Learn from their practice. And failing that, read Chapter 1 of this book all over again. 

Although beyond the scope of this book, it may help to review the practice of Engaged Buddhism to try to change things for the better. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engaged_Buddhism. Your practice does not have to be separate from this world. Instead, it should be very much a part of it.

Story: A World of Anger

Each day, I am surrounded by a world of anger and feel its power.

In myself.

In others.

In our music.

In our news.

At our work.

While driving.

On our transportation systems.

In fact, there are few places where I am immune from its presence.

I see its existence everywhere.

Starting today and throughout my life, I choose another path.

A way of true liberation.

Free from suffering.

And causing little suffering to others.

Practice

There have already been many previous suggestions in this chapter and book. Some of the following may not be Buddhist-inspired:

1. Walk away or start deescalating the situation.

2. Realize you are in a condition of feeling anger. Understand that it is a "hook" trying to ensnare you and let it grow no further.

3. Practice lovingkindness and tonglen meditation.

4. Stop, Reflect. Breathe.

5. Think of something ridiculous to break the pattern and defuse the situation.

6. See how being angry is absurd. Like being manipulated by a small uncontrolled child just to have a few passing moments of feeling good and right.

7. Find a place or way to reflect. It could be just walking. Or just sitting. Or having a hot slice of pizza. Whatever works for you.

8. Simply release after realizing that it will not stay forever.

For many of us, anger will be a visitor that will keep returning. Keep experimenting to see what works well for you to dissipate its hold. It is important to never relent changing ourselves to have one less moment of anger. Or one less day.