20 | Trial and Error [ Sacrifices ]

Chapter 20 | Trial and Error [ Sacrifices ]

CLARISSA APPROACHED THE BARN CAUTIOUSLY. Her footsteps felt light. She walked past Alice brushing the mane of her favourite horse. She grabbed a pair of gloves before looking at her, "You okay, mrs. Cassity?"

"I'm fine."

"You sure?"

"I really am...and I know I shouldn't be, because I loved Carl. I think— I just can't remember why."

Clarissa stared at her thoughtfully. Did she just say she forgot why she loved her husband after he died?

"What do you mean?" She asked, approaching her.

Alice sighed, a confused look imprinted on her face, "I mean..Carl grew up around here. We went to school together, and he was always mooning over me. But I never— I used to make fun of him."

"When did you two get together?"

"Valentine's Day, 2003. I was at this party. Carl was there, and it was like I was seeing him for the first time. You know, suddenly, he was cute, and smart, and funny."

Clarissa's breathing quickened.

"It was magic. Carl and I were happy for ten years. Now, he's dead and I'm not sad or angry. I'm just...fine."

x x x

Sam and Dean packed last of their bags before zipping them. Clarissa entered their room when Dean instantly shot her a question, "hey, uh, we have any graveyard dirt?"

"We should. Why?"

"Yarrow?"

"Yeah, wait—Dean, no." Clarissa rose her tone. "We're not summoning a crossroads demon."

"Plan A bombed, so welcome to Plan B. We get some red-eyed bitch in a trap, then a knife on her until she calls us in a pooch. Special delivery."

She glanced at Sam who was keeping silent the whole time. She thought he was probably persuaded by Dean's idea, too and gave in.

"Yeah, except when Crowley finds out we're dialing up hell, he won't send one hellhound— he'll send a hundred. That'd not a plan, Dean. That's suicide!"

"Well, you got a better idea?"

"Yeah. We stay here. I just talked to Alice in the barn. Carl didn't sell his soul for oil, he sold it for Alice."

Sam rose, "say what?"

"His wife?" Dean asked.

"Yeah. He loved her, she barely noticed him, so he made a deal. And now, the time's up it's like she barely even knew the guy."

Dean thought carefully, "you think our demon signed up more than one schmuck while he was in town?"

"Wouldn't be the first time." She answered promptly.

Sam walked closer to them, "Clarissa's right. This family is rich because someone booked a one-way ticket downstairs. And as of tomorrow, they're all gonna right here."