Chapter 2: Kidnapped

Start from the beginning

The dark stains on the window looked distinctly red.

Bile rose in my throat, and a cold sweat broke out over my body. I had to be dreaming, this couldn't be real. I heard a voice outside the car; a voice that wasn't Tony.

Oh my God. This couldn't be happening.

For the first time in five years, I felt a real emotion other than pain.

I, Jaime Erikson, was afraid.

No, terrified.

In that moment, I knew that this could be how I would die. I pictured a real axe murderer like something from a Wes Craven movie. And if I was going to die now, I decided I would do it with dignity. I swallowed the bile in my throat and opened the car door.

What I saw horrified me.

Tony's body was on the ground beside the driver's door. There was blood... everywhere. It was all over his body, and his face was ripped clean off.

I kept my small semblance of remaining composure and looked around me, expecting a man with a chainsaw in some sort of creepy mask.

There was no one.

I was stunned. There had to be someone or something here. How could they have gotten away so fast? Then, I heard a hiss behind me. I whipped around to face the car and Tony's body. Again, nothing.

"Looking for us?" A cold voice spoke behind me. I whipped around again to face them. There were three men standing in front of me.

The guy who spoke had dark brown hair with a fringe cut. He stood with an air of arrogance and disdain. The guy to the left of him had a buzzed hair cut that was dark black against his pale flesh. Finally, the man to the right had curly blond hair. He was shorter than the others and had a cheerful smile.

They all had pale white skin, red eyes, and wore all black.

And they were amazingly beautiful.

The man who spoke was by far the most compelling. His body was more lean and fit than the others, and he had an essence to his nature that screamed importance.

I stood there, taking in their appearance, as they observed me. Silence hung over us for a solid minute.

"Are you sure she's the one Reuban?" One of them asked in a low voice.

"She's the one." Replied the man with the fringe cut; his voice deep, cool, and even.

"That's what you said about the last one." The blond-haired guy said with a snicker.

"Shut up, Seth! It's her." The guy referred to as Reuban demanded.

"Whoa, temper much." All of their heads snapped in my direction. My mouth once again took on a mind of its own and spoke against my wishes.

"Who do you think you're talking to?" Reuban asked. He took a step closer to me. It would have been intimidating if I was scared. However, I wasn't afraid to die; I'd already accepted that fact. The fear had drained out of me as quickly as it had arrived. So, instead of begging for my life like he wanted, I laughed.

It wasn't a real laugh, I hadn't truly laughed since Samie's death. It was fake and slightly deranged. Reuban froze and stared at me with an indecipherable expression. I was sure I looked crazy as I laughed in front of death, but that's what I'd become: crazy, weird, and reckless.

"Yes, this is her. He said she would be brazen." The buzzed hair guy spoke up.

"What? Who?" They ignored me.

"Alex, run to the car and get the rope out of the trunk. I think she's going to be trouble." Reuban flicked his wrist, and the buzzed hair guy was gone. I didn't understand; if they were just going to kill me, why did they need rope? I tried not to think of Tony's body behind me. The raw scent of iron pooling at my feet raised goosebumps on my arms. He didn't deserve this fate. No one deserved this fate.

Except maybe me.

In a blink, the man, Alex, was back. He had a bundle of rope in his hands.

Against my will, my heart sped up in my chest. Reuban grabbed the rope from Alex and walked over to me.

Goodbye, cruel world; it was nice knowing you. Actually, no. It wasn't. It sucked.

I said a last goodbye in my head as Reuban approached me. He grabbed my wrists and yanked them towards himself. I planted my feet into the dirt and tried to resist, but my efforts were futile. He pulled the rope around my wrists and tied a very tight knot. They all began walking, and Reuban pulled me along.

Wait, what? I felt my brain short-circuit as I got dragged along. Weren't they supposed to kill me? I tugged against the rope, causing pain to shoot through my arms. Reuban didn't even seem to notice my struggles.

"Where are we going?" I asked with a desperate hitch to my voice. I quickly realized that they didn't plan on answering me.

"I said, where are we going?" I raised my voice as something similar to frustration gripped my gut. My voice came out shrill because of the fear and pain resurging inside my chest. I pulled at the rope again.

"Where are we going?!" I screamed. Reuban spun around in front of me and came to a full stop. He pulled painfully on the rope and lowered his head to mine, so it was only an inch away. I blinked as his appearance came into focus. My eyes locked onto his blood red irises.

"You better shut your mouth, Erickson! You're getting on my nerves, and I might just lose control of my temper." I was momentarily distracted by his closeness, but I soon snapped out of it.

"How do you know my last name?" I demanded. That was beyond creepy. He began walking and dragging me along again.

"We were sent to get you." He answered.

"What? Why? Who?" I stuttered. Again, I got no answer. I huffed, this was so frustrating. Why would anyone possibly want to kidnap me? I'd done nothing special in my life, nothing to get noticed. So why would someone want me?

Suddenly, a thought hit me.

I froze, completely coming to a halt.

What if someone found out what happened with my brother?

What if someone found out?

What if someone wanted me dead for what I had done?