Chapter 14: A Walk in the Garden

~~Alright, so I wrote this today because I won't be able to post for a while. Probably not until Monday or later. I'll try for sooner, but don't expect anything before then. So, this chapter is probably going to be short. It has a very important part at the end, something I've been thinking over for a while. I want to give a shout-out to my bestie, you know who you are, for giving me ideas and helping me with this chapter! Love you girly! Anyways, I'll stop rambling now, love all my fans!  Read, comment, vote, enjoy!~~

Chapter 14

To say I was shocked would be the understatement of the century. It was clear by Seth's facial expression that the door was not visible to him. How could he not see the door right in front of him? We were now standing still in the middle of the entryway, both of us shocked.

"You really don't see the door..." I muttered in disbelief.

"Jaime, I've been in and out of this building my whole life, and there is no gray door in here. Let's just get you outside, maybe the fresh air will help you think." He pulled me outside while sending me a confused look. How could he not see it? Maybe I was going crazy. It must have been from being locked in this huge mansion for so long. This behavior was not normal for me...

All my thoughts left my head as we walked into the beautiful garden. Rose petals scattered across the grass, every flower imaginable adorned the pathways, and the scent of cherry blossoms creased my nose. It was like something from a dream as we walked under a flowery arch and into the stunning garden. Everything in my life seemed peaceful all of the sudden as complete bliss filled my soul. I never wanted to leave a place as gorgeous and heavenly as this.

"I always used to walk through here as a kid. It seemed to make every bad day better." Seth looked me in the eyes with a goofy grin; I smiled back. This place was amazing. Seth took my hand as we walked through the orchard, and every once in a while, he would point out a landmark he particularly enjoyed. This day seemed as if it couldn't get any better.

"Seth. Erikson." In an instant, Reuban was at my side. The whole mood of the afternoon seemed to shift as his dark looming presence made itself known. As if injected with poison, the cheerfulness immediately left me.

"Reuban, what are you doing here?" Seth asked as he looked behind us, seemingly looking for something.

"I'm allowed to walk through the garden, am I not?" Reuban spoke with venom. I could have sworn I saw his eyes flash to mine and Seth's interlocked hands, a look of fury behind his gaze.

"N-No, of course you can." Seth looked nearly frightened to death as Reuban continued to glare furiously. I could feel Seth's cold hand starting to get clammy and suddenly his hand was no longer in mine.

"Sorry, Jaime. I've got to be somewhere... bye!" I watched with my mouth hanging agape as Seth ran from the garden in a hurry, leaving me behind. Coward.

I refused to run away as I turned to catch Reuban's gaze. He still looked angry, but the amount of fury drained each passing second that Seth was gone. We looked into each other's eyes for what felt like an eternity. That same nagging burning feeling from the dinner came back into the pit of my stomach. Why did Reuban have that effect on me? Stupid angry murderer.

"Why are you really out here Reuban, just to scare Seth away?" His light penetrating blue eyes glared at me. He was always so mad all the time; why was he never happy?

"It's a nice day; I'm walking." He began strolling down the path and motioned for me to follow with his finger. It seemed as if I was now Reuban's responsibility.

"This garden is very beautiful." I realized my attempt at normal conversation was awkward and strained, but it was better than silence.

"I've always loved the garden." I nearly tripped when Reuban spoke. I thought for sure he would order me to keep my mouth shut, but here he was - returning the conversation.