Chapter 21: The Execution

~~ENJOY MY LOVELIES! This is the long awaited execution!!! I hope you guys like it:) P.S. may be a bit too graphic for some of you innocents, so remain cautious. Please, please, tell me what you think! I love all of your words, all of them, so please give any advice or random comments. Enjoy, comment, vote!~~

Chapter 21

Reuban believed this would be the last moment I looked at him this way. I could see the way he studied my expression as if for the last time. He believed I would never see him in the same light again. I couldn't tell if he saw it, but I was resolved not to let this event taint my image of him.

"The prisoner, Claudius De Barnitello, will now step forward."

I couldn't help the sudden burst of fear I felt as Claudius walked through the door. My hands gripped the armrests of my chair. I was happy to see his face was covered by a brown cloth sack. After what the guards did to his face, it was the last thing I wanted to see. He was wearing brown rags for clothing, and his hands were cuffed in front of himself.

They pushed him onto the platform, and everyone went completely silent as him and Reuban faced one another. What was about to happen hit me full force, and I found myself unable to blink.

"The prisoner is charged with attempted manslaughter against a royal charge. His sentence goes without question or complaint. Does the prisoner recognize the charges?" The man who spoke stood off the platform as he talked. Claudius shook his head frantically, but the man ignored him and went on. "The proceeding will be implemented by his Royal Highness, Reuban Lucio Suvorov. Does the plaintiff agree?"

Reuban nodded mutely, and the man rambled on some more. Reuban and I kept our eyes locked the whole time. I could tell he was saying goodbye to my good opinion, but I was prepping myself. I wouldn't let this act shame Reuban in my eyes; he could easily do that himself.

"The preceding will now begin with the light of cleansing."

Reuban walked to a corner of the stage and lifted a torch. I knew what was to happen; Claudius would be set on fire. I couldn't close my eyes, even if I wished, as Reuban placed the torch against Claudius' clothing. It was a slow process as his clothing caught on fire, but we could all hear the pain. I'd never heard a scream like that one. It was filled with pain, pure pain, pain I couldn't begin to comprehend.

Reuban's eyes turned red.

The fire eventually died down, and another brown sack was placed on Claudius' deformed face. They had to pull him to his feet since he was crumpled up in pain.

"Now we will exercise the pain of demise."

As Reuban picked up the sword, I finally found my eye lids and shut them quickly, only to have Alex shake my arm.

"Keep your eyes open! The Master will know if you don't watch." So I had no choice then.

Watching Reuban mutilating him was mortifying for me. I wanted to run so badly that I had to grip my seat tight enough that my hands went white. I promised myself I wouldn't do this, that I would stay strong, but it was growing harder to do. The smell of blood and death drenched the area and grew stronger with every plunge of the sword. I could tell the vampires were enjoying it; they kept whistling and letting out low growls. It was like some sick twisted game for them.

"Now for the ache of blood!"

Reuban grabbed Claudius by the back of his neck and pulled him over to the large metal bucket. It was a very slow process, to watch Claudius's blood slowly drip from his wounds into the bucket. I could faintly hear the splash of the blood as it hit the titanium steel.