"i'm giving him a chance"

Start from the beginning

"He just took me home last night, and I asked him to stay for awhile longer... I don't like storms, okay? I was alone and this week sucks enough already. I just wanted some company, and he's a nice guy." I was suddenly regretting asking Noah for a ride, only because I wasn't up for interrogation from anyone, let alone someone I had barely talked to in the last three years.

"You could've come over," Noah said, as if I had made a mistake that had an easy solution from the beginning. "But Calum... seriously?"

"Noah, are you on something? Why does it seem to matter so much to you? He's a good guy and we genuinely like to talk to each other. It was one night and nothing happened. He's your friend, if you cared to remember." I huffed and found myself becoming angry. "Also, why the hell would I come over? We don't talk anymore, Noah. You haven't talked to me in years. I have avoided every party you've ever thrown because I have literally been the only person you have not invited for the last couple of years."

"Maya..." Noah softly began to speak, but I stopped him.

"I don't care that you didn't invite me, I wouldn't have come anyway." I looked out of the window as the drive continued, and for a second I thought I might be lucky enough for Noah to stay quiet for the rest of the ride.

"I never invited you because I didn't want you to be disappointed in me. I can come off as a total dick now, Maya, and I don't want you to know that about me. It's not like you haven't gotten the memo, but I don't know... I didn't want you getting caught up in it. I throw the parties for the guys, they like them, and I guess I do too, but I'm such a fuck when I drink. I don't think this will help my case, but I never invited you because I didn't want any of the guys trying to get with you." I slowly looked over at Noah, but he kept his eyes on the road.

"Noah... I'm a big kid. I can look out for myself. I would never in a million years get with any of those guys."

"Not even Calum? But he's such a good guy," Noah raised the pitch of his voice to sound more girly, and more whiny, and I bit my lip as I looked away from him. "He's charming, Maya.I've picked up on how girls feel about him. He's also a total tool. He's one of my best friends, but that doesn't change anything about him. I don't want you mixed up with them, I never have, and that's why I've never wanted you at one of the parties. Sam usually gets on my last nerve, but I don't invite her either... neither of you need to get hurt. I can't believe you're encouraging this whole Michael thing. He seems to really like her, but how are any of us supposed to know how long that's going to last?"

"Can we please change the subject?" I asked Noah, trying to keep my cool.

"Are you going to stop seeing Calum?" Noah asked, challenging my previous question.

"I am not seeing Calum! We are not a thing, okay? I'm giving him a chance to show me he's not total douchebag, and I'm not going to stop until he proves himself. I'm giving him a chance, but not necessarily romantically. I'm not an idiot, I'm not going to get myself hurt. I don't need you acting as if you've saved me from some sort of trauma, or that you've done me some kind of charity. I didn't ask for it. For someone who supposedly cares about me, you haven't done shit for me. Thanks for keeping me safe by shutting me out of your life." Thankfully, we had arrived at school and Noah had parked his car. "Thanks for the ride." I swung my door open and slammed it once I was completely out of the car. I quickly made my way into the school building and didn't have any care in the world whether Noah was following me or not.

I hurried to my locker to get my stuff for first hour, but was surprised to see someone blocking it. It was Calum, and although a part of me wanted to listen to what Noah had said and start being more cautious around Calum, I let a smile slip.