Chapter 86

Daryls pov

i woke up the next day to an empty cot beside me. My heartbeat quickened and I quickly hopped out of the bed. I ran over to the cribs. The twins were gone too. I swear if Tom did anything! I ran out of my cell as fast as I could looking everywhere. Then a baby started crying. I quickly ran down the stairs coming to a halt when I saw the scene infront of me. It brought a smile to my lips. Kayla with Connor, Carl with Judith, and Beth with elaina were all in a circle playing and laughing. Merle was leaning on the wall close to them, watching over em. He knew what ideas tom had in his head so he was sticking close to them when I couldn't. He caught side of me and gave me a head nod which I returned. A lot of things changed with Merle. Sure he was still that racist, druggy, alcoholic, rough redneck, but when it came down to family, he was protective and strong. Kayla looked up and smiled at me an I nodded to her as she went back to playing with the kids. I felt comfortable leaving her there to find Rick. As long as Tom wasn't around her, I was alright and I knew merle wouldn't let him near her. It didn't take me long to find Rick. Its like he found me. He walked past me and looked at the scene of kids and women. He smiled like a proud father and grandfather which I know he was.

"Ey" I said from behind him.

he looked at me and I motioned him with my head for him to follow me. He nodded and we walked to the staircase. I sat on the steps and he leaned on the rail. He crossed his arms and looked back over at the kids. I looked up at him and sighed,

"kayla had a nightmare last night"

he quickly turned his attention down to me,"she did? She alright?"

"ya. Scared the hell outta her though." I whispered.

he nodded, "ya it's impossible to have even a good dream anymore when we live in a nightmare"

i nodded,"her dream got me thinkin though."

"bout what?" He asked.

"in er dream, Tom was apart of that other group. He keeps disappearin at night and then what he's said and how he looks at kayla. It could be possible" I gritted trying to get the image of him taking her out of my head.

"what's he been saying to her?" He asked seeming to get a little pissed.

"he's been eyin her like a piece of meat. Told her he didn't care she was married, that it wouldn't stop him. I told him to stay away from er and when he didn't...." I shook my head, "then he said i never said anything bout touchin her. Bout killed him"

"What did ya do?" He asked.

"had a little chat with him" I glared while rubbing my knuckles together.

"I didn't know he was doin all that. If he leaves his cell tonight, we'll follow him." He said.

i nodded and he started walking back to the group, but he turned back to me,

"and daryl?"

i arched an eyebrow and he said, "if he ever does anything like that with her again, ya better include me in on your little chat. I got some words I would like to say"

i nodded knowing what he was really meaning. He turns and walked back to the group. I got up off the steps and walked behind him going up to Beth. She smiled at me and I opened my arms,

"can I see my kid?"

she nodded, "of course" and handed me elaina. I motioned my head to Merle and he followed behind me.

"saw what ya did to ole Tom there. Ya got him old little brother" he chuckled.

i nodded and started rocking elaina in my arms,"where is the prick anyways?"

"Herschel's takin a look at his injuries" he smiled.

"ey me and Rick are gonna be on watch tonight. We think toms been sneakin out, if he does we're gonna follow im. Need ya to keep an eye on my family" I said.

"what I look like a damn babysitter?" He whispered.

"just do it" I grunted.

he rolled his eyes and I saw kayla getting up with Connor, walking to us. When she reached us, Merle left and she smiled at me.

"hey? What ya been bringing everyone over here for?" She chuckled.

"nothin, just me and Rick gonna be on watch tonight" I said.

she took a deep breath and looked down at Connor.

"What?" I asked.

"I don't want to be alone in here with Tom" she whispered.

"thought ya weren't afraid of im" I said.

"I lied" she said barely above a whisper.

"ey" I whispered and she looked up at me.

"he ain't gonna touch you." I said sternly.

she could tell something was up and arched an eyebrow,"what did you do?"

"had a little chat" I said.

"a chat as in with words or a chat like ya had with Randall?" She asked.

i stopped rocking elaina when she brought him up. His is one of the names that make me see red when they are spoken. Sure the kid didn't touch her, but he made her dad watch and that's just something I couldn't get over. I was about to answer her when Tom walked in. I smiled at the work I did on his face. He had a black eye, his lip was busted pretty well, and his face was swollen from bruising. I head kayla gasp and she turned to me. I tried to hide my smile, but failed.

"I take it merle told ya what he said to me" she whispered.

i nodded,"ya. I don't want you near him. You or the kids. Merle's gonna be checkin in on ya tonight while Rick and I are on watch."

she nodded,"alright just please be careful"

"always am" I said and gave her a soft kiss.

we pulled away and she leaned her head on my shoulder as I looked down at elaina in my arms and Connor in hers. My whole family was together and that's exactly how I'm gonna keep it.