Chapter 3

Kayla's pov.

"I said put down the bow."

The leader I guess said to the redneck looking man. He looked like he was in some kind of trance, but quickly shook out of it when I noticed. This man was tall, had piercing blue eyes, and in all honesty was very handsome. I couldn't focus on that now! Dad is getting worse!

"I'm Rick." The man in the sheriffs outfit said, "and this is daryl." Pointing to the redneck

. "I'm mark, this is my daughter kayla." My dad introduced.

"You guys alone?" Rick asked.

"Ya just us. My son is missing and my niece passed yesterday. My wife died in the beginning." my dad replied.

I held onto my dads arm and had tears in my eyes remembering all the horrible experiences this world has brought. My dad looked at me and I gave him a faint smile and he looked back to Rick.

"I'm sorry about all that." Rick replied looking at me apologetically.

"You got a camp?" Dad asked.

I pulled on his arm quickly, I knew what he was doing. But no one would take us in knowing he's bit. He looked at me and i shook my head no. He sighed and turned back to the men,

"please take my daughter."

"Dad!" I yelled.

"Kayla hush!" He yelled back.

"Why just her? not ya two?" The redneck asked curious.

"I'm bit. Happened bout an hour ago. I'm not gonna be around much longer and she's gonna be on her own. Please." Dad begged.

"No dad no. We can get you help. The CDC.." I started to say but dad caught me off,

"dammit kayla! You have to listen to me! The infection is too far along now. I wouldn't even make it to the CDC."

Tears formed in my eyes and began to spill.

"Rick please." Dad begged.

Rick looked to daryl.

"Just be another mouth to feed." Daryl muttered.

Wow harsh.

"We can't leave her, she'll die." Rick said.

I watched the men go back and forth until Rick finally looked to my dad,

"we'll take her with us."

My dad breathed a sigh of relief and I froze. No way in hell I'm leaving my dad. Dad walked up to Rick and hugged him. I knew he whispered something in his ear cause the man named Rick nodded, but I couldn't hear him. Dad turned back to me and hugged me as I was crying. He pulled away and held my face in his arms,

"now listen to me princess. Rick is gonna take care of ya. You need to stay safe and live. Live for me, live for your mother, live for kacie. Your beautiful and strong. No matter what this world has come to or will come to you remember that. Stay safe. I love you so much. Don't worry about me, I'll be fine."

"Dad I can't leave you!" I cried.

"You can and you will. Now go I love you." He said forcing a smile and wiping a tear away with his thumb.

I looked into his eyes as tears threatened to spill from them and finally nodded,

"I love you too daddy."

I hugged onto him and he held back tight. We pulled away for the last time and he sent me to Rick who held his hand out for me. I took it and looked back at dad.

"Rick remember what you promised." Dad said.

Rick nodded and handed dad a gun. Dad thanked him, kissed me on the forehead once more and we left. Rick had an arm around my back as we got into a car. Driving off, I watched the house that contained my father start to disappear as I heard a gunshot.