Chapter 18

Chapter 18

I walked into my old office, looking around and sighing. Vane hadn't changed it at all. It was exactly how I had left it. The papers were strung all across the desk and the chair was still pulled away from the desk. The coffee cup was even still in its place. Did he know I would come back? That was the only explanation.

"Ms. Simmons, it is good to see you back!" My secretary entered the room, clapping her hands together. "How is the baby?"

I hesitated, my eyes falling to my feet. "He didn't make it."

"Oh my god. I am so sorry."

I shrugged, forcing a smile to my face. "It's not your fault, and you didn't know." She just smiled awkwardly and backed out of the room. Not that I could blame her. I sighed and pulled open the drawer just to the right of my knee. I smiled when I saw the picture of Vane at a dinner party we had attended about two or three months before we took our seperate paths.

I had missed him. Even though we had lost our baby, I loved Vane with everything I was. What had I been thinking? I needed him more than I needed my next breath. But if he was going to make me unstable, did I need him?

"Well, well. Look who never became a mommy after all." My eyes snapped up to see Thalia standing in the doorway to my office with her arms crossed. "I'm hurt that you didn't call me."

I stood suddenly, setting the picture face down on my desk. "Why would I call you? You're nothing to me."

"Wrong. I'm your everything, remember? We loved each other once. Now I just need to remind you why you loved me."

Scoffing, I shook my head. "Well, freaking me the fuck out sure isn't going to remind me why. Why don't you just leave?"

"I love you, Sinclair. I always have. You think that barbarian loves you? No. He doesn't understand love." Thalia closed the door and walked toward me, causing me to stumble backwards until my back pressed up against the glass of the window.

I swallowed hard. "I suggest you leave now. I don't want you, but I also don't want to call security on you. Please leave." She shook her head, continuing to make her way towards me. "Thalia, go."

"I don't take orders from anyone. Especially you." She placed her hands on my shoulders and pressed me harder against the window, lips pressed right against my ear. "If he loved you so much, where is he?"

I pushed her away from me, but she didn't budge. "I love him, Thalia. I'll never want to be with you again. Vane is the only person I want to spend the rest of my life with."

"Quit lying to yourself. He will never stay with you."

There was a knock at the door. "Miss Simmons, Mr. Hanson is waiting for you in the lobby. He said to be ready to go out to lunch."

"This isn't over, Sin. We will never be over