Chapter 13

Hey, guys. I am sorry that I disappeared for a while. I had a bit of a personal crisis and lost all desire to write. So, now that I am starting to feel better, I will begin writing again. These chapters may be short, but i will update more frequently. I will be going back over this story and editing everything very soon and adding a lot more content! So keep your eyes peeled for that. Anyway, I love you guys. ~Adria Menthe

Chapter 13

I smiled at Jason, who sat across the table, eyes flitting about nervously. I had to bite back a laugh, gripping Vane’s fingers tighter. I had to practically drag him to the restaurant and force him to meet my brother, and I knew that I was going to pay for it later.

Vane cleared his throat and poured himself a half glass of wine. “So, Jason, what do you do for a living?”

“Manual labor. If anyone needs something built or fixed, I am their man. Otherwise, nothing.” My brother looked toward Vane briefly and then back to my belly. “What about you?”

Vane smirked, his fingers trailing across the back of my hand. “I do a little bit of everything.” I noticed the double meaning behind his words and kicked his ankle gently. My brother was not known for his self control when he was provoked.

The waiter soon came back with our food, setting it in front of us. “Can I get you anything else? Another bottle of wine?”

“No, thank you.” Jason grumbled, folding his arms across his chest and lowering his head slightly. I raised an eyebrow at him, noticing how his cheeks flushed ever-so-slightly.

The waiter smiled and walked off, leaving us alone once again. “What was that?” I asked, giving Jason a knowing glance.

“What? N-Nothing.” He picked up his beer and took a deep swig. Vane looked between the two of us uncomfortably and released my hand long enough to push back a strand of hair from his face.

Jason glared at me and then looked back down at his plate, slowly picking around his plate. Vane smiled at me slightly before returning his attention to my brother. “You care about your sister, don’t you?”

“What would make you ask me that question?” Jason’s eyes hardened, his defensive mechanism locking into place. “Of course I care about my sister.”

“You say that you do a lot of manual labor, right? I may have a job for you.” Vane reached into his suit jacket pocket and smiled even wider. “I would like for you to help Sin put together the baby’s nursery.”

Vane slid a thick envelope across the table. Jason stared at it for a long moment, just sitting in silence. “Are you sure that she wants me around that long? You don’t know our history.”

“No, I do not. But I don’t need to. You are her brother, and she is going to need all the support she can get for the rest of the pregnancy. Not to mention that I will need you to make sure she is safe when I go out of town.”

Jason nodded slowly. “You mean from Talia.”

“Yes, from Thalia. She has been a persistent thorn in our side and I am afraid she may try to hurt Sinclair and our baby.” My heart thundered in my chest briefly, thinking about what could happen if she came sniffing around again.

I picked at my food as the two men continued talking. “Yeah, I’ll take the job, dude. I need the money and I feel the need to protect my baby sister.”

I smirked at that, knowing that he felt the need to protect me this time. Vane nodded. “Very well. Oh, and don’t call me ‘dude’.”