Chapter 12

Chapter 12

I closed the door to my new office, walking to my desk to plop down into my chair. My feet hurt and I felt emotionally drained. So many clients had come in and out, throwing around demands and making requests. I was getting tired of all these adult women walking around throwing tantrums. It was tiring, and I wanted out.

“Miss Simmons, you have a visitor.” My assistant said after popping her head into my office. 

I smiled at her as I slid my shoes off. “Send them in.” She nodded once and closed the door to my office. 

Sighing, I leaned back in my chair, revelling in the few moments of silence that I had. I heard the door open, and let my eyes flutter open. “What are you doing here? I thought I told you never to contact me again?”

“I had to see you and apologize. What I did to you was wrong, and I got some help.” My brother stood there, giving me a sheepish smile that made my heart thud with sadness. 

I had lost him years ago when he moved out of our home, leaving me alone with a drunk mother and abusive stepfather. I had begged him to take me with him, to get me the hell out of there before I ended up dead, or worse. Before I ended up like them. He had denied me and left me all alone. He hadn’t even gotten me help.

I blinked several times, my entire body going numb. “Jason? How did you find me?”

“Your ex girlfriend let me know where you were, even though I wasn’t looking for you. I figured that you still hated me. I had betrayed you and you trusted me.” He stuffed his hands into the pockets of his black slacks. “I just wanted to see how you were doing. I needed to know that you were okay.”

I smiled sadly, unsure what to say other than, “I am okay.”

“Good.” A harsh line formed between his eyebrows. “What happened to them?”

“Mom died six months after you left. She overdosed. After that, things with Greg got worse. I ran away at seventeen and moved in with Aunt Ginger. She protected me from Greg.” That earned me a relieved sigh from Jason.

He shyly took a seat across from me. “I didn’t know that Mom died.”

“Don’t feel bad. You weren’t around, and I didn’t know how to get ahold of you.” He rested his head in his hands, shoulders slumping. “I never hated you, you know.”

His eyes snapped back up to me, betraying his emotions. “You didn’t?”

“Of course not, Jason. You needed to get out of there, and you did. I was proud of you.” I paused. “I was mad at you, but I was proud.”

He smiled at me, and my entire body seemed to physically relax. “I don’t know what to say, Sin. It’s been so long, and I am at a loss for words right now.” He stood and came around the desk, holding his arms out to me.

I grinned and stood, wrapping my arms around my brother. He gasped and his eyes widened slightly. “Whoa, Sin. You’re huge. Thalia didn’t mention that you were having a baby.”

“Yes, I am having a baby boy.” As I pulled away, I cupped my belly and smiled. “I am only four and a half months, but that doesn’t seem to stop me from growing.”

Jason looked pained. “I never thought that my baby sister would be having a baby so young. Hell, I never even thought about what it would be like if you were pregnant.” He suddenly smiled. “I wish Grandmother could see you. She would say you were the most beautiful mother.”

“I want you to meet the father, Jason.” I blurted, surprising even myself. I had never thought that I would want Vane to meet any part of my old life. He didn’t even know where I came from. 

My brother nodded, leaning against my desk. “I think I could do that.” He reached into his back pocket. “Oh, Thalia wanted me to give you a letter.” He held out a pink envelope with my name on it.

“Oh.” I took it timidly before ripping it up before throwing the pieces away. “I think it is best if I keep her out of my life.” If not for my sake, then the baby’s.

He frowned. “She really loves you.”

“Yeah, that’s what I am afraid of.”