A Ranchin' Man

The bright morning sunlight lit the pasture as the wind danced across the field of goats. Tara sat in the grass beside Link, who was busy telling her about the uni-horned goats that dotted the pasture around them. Tara chuckled as he launched into a story about how an angry goat unhorsed him a few weeks ago by spooking Epona, "she's my horse, a real beauty," and how angry Ilia was when she found out that Epona could've been in danger of injury. She liked this farm boy. Or ranch boy, rather. He had a strong spirit, an amiable personality. She chided herself inwardly for not making friends when she lived here, those years ago. He would've proven to be a great one.

"Hey! Link!" a man called, running out of the barn doors, and up through the field toward Link and Tara. Link stood, and Tara followed suit, as the man approached.

"So, almost time for you to get goin', huh, Link? So how's bout we finish up early today, bud?" Link nodded, and turned to Tara with a smile.

"Want to watch me herd the goats in?" Interested to see his stories of herding go into play, Tara agreed happily. Link bent to pick a strange plant from the pasture grasses, and blew a light melody with it. Soon, a mare galloped into the pasture at her master's call. Link greeted her, his long ears perked in joy as he stroked her forehead affectionately.

"Tara, this is Epona." She stepped toward the gorgeous beast, and Link motioned for her to pet Epona.

"Hey, girl," she crooned, scratching Epona's warm neck. Link climbed swiftly onto her back, and Tara stepped back as Link's employer did.

"Alright... go!" The man said, and Link spurred Epona into action. Boy and horse thundered around the pasture, whooping and herding the goats into the barn with athletic skill. Tara gazed as she admired Link's work, watched the concentration in his eyes, the superior riding skills. She held her dark hair away from her face as the wind blew, watching Link with joy. In a few minutes, all the goats were safely inside the barn. The other ranch man gave a whoop.

"Hoo, boy, you can herd! That was a minute faster than usual!" he said. Link trotted up to them beaming, his chest heaving with the workout.

"Not too bad! How was that, Tara?" he said, patting Epona as he shook his shaggy, straw-colored hair out of his bright eyes. Tara moved to stroke Epona's neck.

"Marvelous, Link. Absolutely stunning job," she told him, "You too, Epona. What a strong girl..."

"Come on, Bounty Hunter, time to jump the fences," Link said with a grin, extending a strong hand down to Tara.

"Say what?" she said, hesitantly placing her hand in Link's. His warm grip tightened, and he removed his foot from the stirrup.

"It'll be fun, trust me. Now put your foot there... good, now hup!" Link pulled as Tara used the stirrup, and with his help, she plopped into the saddle behind him.

"Two people? You sure?" Tara said, aware of her proximity to the sweaty ranch hand.

"I know my Epona," Link said with affection, before spurring the mare toward the set of jumping fences placed by the ranch manager. Tara gave a shout as she was jerked backward by the momentum, and she hugged the back of the saddle tightly with her knees as she scrambled to cling to the back of Link's shirt. With one last spur, Epona leaped with the grace of her species over the first jump. Link bent low in the saddle to meet it, but Tara was unprepared. Her stomach flipped as they cleared the jump, and she was jostled roughly on the landing.

"Hold on!" Link commanded, and Tara quickly clenched her arms around Link's torso as he spurred Epona for the last jump. Tara laughed joyously as Epona surged over the hurdle, and she buried her face into Link's back to move with him through the jump. The mare thundered down the path after she landed, and the two teens laughed together at the fun. As Link slowed Epona to a trot, he turned his head to the side.

"How was that?" he asked, beaming. Tara snickered.

"That was terrifying. Hell of a good time."

She and Link dismounted Epona, and began chatting about ranching and their small adventure as they entered Ordon Village. Link looked up, and the conversation diminished as a village girl bounded toward them.

"Link!" she cried, slowing to walk with the pair, "Done herding for the day? And is this our visiter?" She smiled warmly at Tara, her soft emerald eyes shining.

"Yeah, this is Tara, from Hyrule Castle Town, resting for a while in her travels. Tara, this is Ilia, Mayor Bo's daughter," Link introduced, and Ilia's eyes slowly widened, her smile equally broadening, as Tara detected a look of recognition.

"You... used to live here, didn't you, Tara? With Rusl and Uli right after Colin was born!" Link looked slightly impressed at her sharp memory, as well as Tara.

"You remember me?" she queried in disbelief.

"Yes!" she exclaimed, "You never talked to any of us, but my father told me about you. Father, Tara's the visitor of our village," Ilia chimed pleasantly toward a large man who joined them from the steps of a nearby home.

"You don't say," he breathed, peering at Tara. "How interesting. The royal gift Rusl told you about is ready," he told Link, placing an arm around his shoulder, "So you should get ready for the trip to Hyrule Castle." Ilia smiled at Tara, leaving the men to their discussion to see to Epona. Tara followed her, and smiled warmly as the two girls stroked the mare.

"Now, the royal family requested this gift specifically, so it's real special," Bo continued, "It would be... bad... if the representative of Ordon were to be late for such an occasion, you get me lad?" Tara looked over at Link, and smiled as she watched him nod in understanding. An odd feeling tugged in her chest as she realized for the first time that he was leaving. She was leaving. They were both leaving. She shunned the feeling, and it was soon gone.

"The path before you is a long one, my sweet horse, but please bear Link safely along it," Ilia crooned affectionately to Epona. "Wait... what's this?"

Tara, Link, and Mayor Bo all turned toward Ilia, who was bent beside Epona's front leg, examining it with concern. "What's happened? She's injured, isn't she?" Link looked guiltily toward her, and she spun around in a fury.

"Link! How could you! You were pushing Epona too hard again! I bet you hurt her leg jumping fences, didn't you!" Link stepped back in alarm, and Tara felt a bit nervous at her accusation.

"Now now, Ilia, there's no need to get so hot with him..." her father interjected, but she cut him off.

"Father!" She cried, rounding on him, "How can you be so easy on him? You're the MAYOR! You should start acting like one!" Tara was taken aback by her outburst, as the two men hung their heads. "You poor thing..." she crooned, going back to Epona, "I'll take you to the forest spring right now. Once we soothe you in the spirit's spring, you'll feel better in no time!" And with that, Ilia began to lead Link's horse away. Link and the Mayor were stricken. Her father protested, saying he needed Epona to deliver the gift to the royal family.

"Link... we pushed her too hard..." Tara said in concern, going to the boy and touching his arm.

"I'm going to be so late..." he muttered, his brow lowered in mild distress. Tara bit her lip, making a quick decision. She squeezed Link's forearm.

"Take Willie, Link. No, don't object. It's the least I can do for all of your kindness and hospitality. I'll be fine finding the bandits on foot. I'll come back to Ordon to get him in three weeks, okay?" Link sighed deeply through his nose, and placed his hand on her elbow in thanks.

"Alright. Thank you Tara. Thank you so much..."

"Of course. Don't mention a thing. It gives me an excuse to come back and see you all again. Alright?" Link nodded.

"Come on," he said, releasing her arm, "Your horse is in that spring.

The two ran all the way to the spring, and with horror, found that they were locked out by Ilia. Bent over and panting, Link and Tara looked at each other in exasperation.

"You need to go," he said, straightening. Tara nodded, and gave Link a quick hug. He squeezed her and bid her farewell as she scampered nervously across the bridge. After watching to make sure she made it over safely, he bounded back down the path.