Cowardice Kills

Just as the world around her, Tara’s life was shattered. The strangest feeling in the world to her was that which came from knowing something large, something apocalyptic might be occurring. As she sprinted back for Ordon, she pushed all but the need to warn the village from the forefront of her thoughts. With the long, covered blade tucked under her arm, she tired quickly from its weight. The peace of the forest, the song of the birds around her was too peaceful, too normal for the tumult of panic and fear Tara was undergoing. She had to stop and rest once she made it to the Forest Man’s clearing.

“Miss Foreigner... Is everything alright?” he asked once she stopped to catch her breath, bending with her hands on her knees for support. She tried to answer, but all that came out were ragged, sob-like breaths that carried indiscernible words. Concerned, the man rose from his seat to try and assist Tara. She wanted the tears to stop, but it seemed like they couldn’t, as the smaller Forest Man held her elbow supportively.

“You... need to stay... inside...” she finally spoke, “Or go to the village. I need... to get to the village...” She wiped her face on her sleeve, avoiding the drying blood and screwing her eyes shut against it. She thanked the Forest Man before urging him once more to seek shelter, and headed off again in the direction of Ordon Village herself.

Out of breath and with very shot emotions, Tara reached the bridge dividing Ordon Province from Faron Province. A strange sound emitted from behind Tara, causing her to halt in her tracks with widened eyes as it was accompanied by an even stranger light. Daring to swivel her head around, she jumped back from the sight. A black barrier stretched to completely conceal the view of the bridge beyond it, spanning wall-to-wall in the narrow pass.

Only pausing to gawk for a moment in fearful wonder, she noted that it was stationary and continued toward Ordon Province with renewed urgency, after sending a prayer for Forest Man’s safety.

Taking a few ragged gasps to try and steady herself, she hugged the blade  as she made her scurrying way across the bridge, her fear-gauge pretty damn full by that point. Relieved at reaching solid ground again, she broke into a crazed sprint. The heavy blade bounced awkwardly against her as she crashed through the forest.

Without pausing to even glance at Ordon Spring, she finally made it to Link’s clearing. With screaming, aching lungs and muscles, Tara let the large blade clatter to the woodland floor as she all but collapsed. She sucked in air, a fit of coughs hitting her.

A high-pitched screech split the calming sounds of the forest, causing Tara to leap in fright. Ahead of her, two bulbins were furious at her presence. She barely dropped in time to dodge the flaming arrow that was aimed at her head. She clutched the sword Feoryth gave her after she landed on it, taking it with her as she rolled to one side. The girl cursed sharply as she fumbled with the leather ties and heavy paper that bound the sword, the second bulbin charging her as the first notched another blazing arrow on its bowstring.

With an enraged shout, Tara dropped the sword to throw herself into a dodging roll as the bulbin’s mace thudded into the ground where she had been seconds ago. In a flash of steel she unsheathed her short sword, the arching motion cutting straight into the creature. It was sent staggering away. But all too late, she heard the distinctive twang of the first bulbin’s bowstring.

In a moment almost suspended in time, the shout of another man reached Tara’s ears as Rusl was suddenly beside the creature from the desert, bringing his sword down a split second after the arrow was released. His blade cut the projectile in half not moments after it was released, a second strike splitting open the creature’s gut.

“Rusl...” Tara gasped, every muscle in her body suddenly morphing into gelatin. Her arms shook as the tip of her sword fell to touch the ground, and Rusl moved beside her to hoist her up by an elbow.

“Are you hurt? Have you seen any children from the village?” he asked, his voice stern with a note of urgency.

“N-no... and no.”

“You need to get back to the village, I need your sword there, Tara. Protect the villagers. Come, now, bulbins aren’t much of an opponent, you’re alright.” She clung to the swordsman's arm in fear of her legs collapsing.

“Rusl, I just watched my employer die... A politician from the Castle... Something’s happening all over Hyrule!” He paused, a look of concern on his grisled face.

“Where? When?”

“I... I was leaving to track my bounty when his horse collapsed in the pass from Hyrule Field and Faron Woods... He was gravely injured, said there were invaders at the castle... He came to warn me and give me something,” her voice was weak, and it quavered as she spoke.

Her eyes fell to the longsword that Feo had given her in his last moments... Rauru’s Blade.

“Then, it’s not just here,” he stated in an incredulous whisper. Tara trembled as she shook her head no. He stared at the ground for a moment in concentration, before gripping Tara by both shoulders. “You’re experiencing much trauma, I understand,” he said in a steady, fatherly voice, “but you are needed. Be strong... Gather your wits as well as your courage. I must find the children.” With that said, he clapped Tara on the back before disappearing down the path towards Faron woods.

“Rusl, there’s something barring the way to Faron Province!” she shouted after him before he was gone. He pauses momentarily.

“I’ll investigate. Go, now, Tara.” With a nod, she obeyed. Still shaking, she hoisted the great blade from where she had left it, using one of the leather strings to hold it over her back.

She made her stumbling way to Ordon, where panic was setting in. Mothers and fathers alike were calling the names of the village children, in complete terror. Bo was lumbering about, trying to regain some form of order. After spotting Tara, relief flooded his features.

“Our bounty hunter is back,” he said as she approached on shaking legs. One of the villagers heard this, whirling to look at Tara.

“Another swordsman! Please, you must help us!” Her presence brought the attraction of those parents searching the village for their children, and soon most of Ordon was shouting and begging her to track down their young, all the confusion and panic-filled voices of those surrounding her causing the girl to shrink in the circle they had formed around her. Finally, she spoke up, loud and angry over the clamor.

“Enough!” Silence followed her outburst, and the anger she felt at all the unbridled panic steadied her. “Okay... Rusl is out looking for your children. You all need to get inside... and stay inside.” She glanced at the mayor, who nodded his head in vigorous relief. A murmur rippled through the small throng of villagers; a nervous sound.

“Yes, please! The tots will be found, but you all need to seek shelter, for your safety! My own daughter is missing... But running around making all this noise is only going to draw the attention of the beasts in the area!” Bo added to Tara’s command, and she could almost feel the tension in the air lessen. She drew her sword, realising these people needed a sense of security, no matter how false it may be. Putting on a gruff look, she hid her own fear as she brandished her weapon.

“Now, inside!” she barked. The villagers jumped into action, scattering to their respective households. One or two men stayed, to talk to the mayor. Bo let out a big sigh, before giving Tara a grateful look.

“Your actions don’t go unappreciated, my girl.” She waved his gratitude off, starting toward the ranch to begin a patrol of the village.

“It’s nothing... really,” she said as she paused, wanting to get out of sight before her resolve withered.

-----------

What up? 

Steel here, dropping in to say it's been WELL over a year since I wrote the last chapter for this fic. Can't believe it's been so well received! Huge thanks to you lovely Zelda lovers, for giving me the inpiration to step back into this. Here's to you!

   ▲

▲  ▲