4. set yourself free

after work, i went over to lips to go talk to him about justin, i walked inside and i sat down at the table

after work, i went over to lips to go talk to him about justin, i walked inside and i sat down at the table. i was about to tell lip i wanted to talk to him but i saw ian was acting strange.

but i had heard from fiona today that a girl got hurt on his watch so i couldn't imagine how he must be feeling right now. ian's job as a paramedic was to help people.

"where the fuck." ian whispered to himself.

"you okay, man?" lip asked him.

"yeah, fine." ian replied but i could tell that he was the opposite of fine.

"it's just, you opened that same cabinet, like, three times." lip pointed out.

"i'm thirsty." ian explained.

"right, so you just try the fridge. second shelf." lip told ian and he got a can of pop from the fridge then walked into the living room and lip followed him.

"so what happened at work today?" lip asked.

"they sent me home." ian told us.

"well, are you okay?" i asked my best friend.

"i'm fine, you know, but cause i have a history of mental illness, they send me home when i make one mistake." ian said.

"okay. i get it." lip said.

"no, you don't. none of you don't." ian said.

"what, i don't get how shitty gallagher genes are? i have to set a timer every time i want to have a beer. franks genes might not be quite as bad as monica's, but-" lip started but got cut off.

"but they suck." ian said, finishing his brothers sentence.

"yeah. yeah, man. they fucking do." lip said as we all sat down.

"i haven't slept in a couple nights, and it's not cause calebs been texting. i don't feel manic, but i never feel it when i'm manic. i just feel fine or great until obviously i'm not cause i did something crazy." ian said as i placed my hand on his shoulder.

"when you feel like your meds might be, like, out of balance, what are you supposed to do?" lip asked.

"up my downers. sleep it off. see the shrink as soon as possible." ian said holding up his bottle of pills.

"all right, then, you do that." lip told ian.

"yeah, you have to do the right thing." i told him.