Chapter 15

Stepping into the hotel room was like taking a deep and refreshing breath. After being in the car for so long, it was practically a dream come true to be off my butt and onto my feet. I had so much bottled up energy from not talking and just sitting that I couldn't even be still. The excitement of the beach didn't help so much either.

The hotel was really nice, nothing too expensive or grand, but perfect nonetheless. It had lots of space, free WiFi, and even a game room down in the lobby. There was also a pool, but I doubted we would be spending much time there considering the beach was a couple blocks away.

Thinking of the ocean made me smile even more so than before, and trying to distract myself, I continued observing our hotel room. With two queen sized beds and a love seat in the corner by the window, it meant three people on one of the beds, two on the other, and then one on the couch. I didn't know what the sleeping arrangements were yet, but I knew I could wait to find out.

The rest of the room was done in yellow. Literally everything reflected the brightness of the sun, and my mom, who was obviously paying for all of the expenses, chose it to be that way.

The trip was planned every year, meaning my mom put aside money all of the time, and even if she didn't, we wouldn't have let the Harts pay considering their own circumstances. Not to mention the fact that they definitely needed some kind of vacation after all they'd been through.

After putting my bag on top of the bed closest to the window, I turned with a grin, smiling at everyone. "Can we go to the beach now?" I asked excitedly. It was impossible to hold it in any longer; I just had to get a glimpse of the beautiful sea before sunset. "It's only three o'clock."

Nancy perked up, staring at my mom and Amy as we waited for their answer. They simply shared looks as we looked upon them with impatient stares. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, they both smiled.

"Okay, fine," my mom gave in.

Nancy actually jumped up in down. That's how excited she was. It was a strange but pleasant sight to see. Bryce shifted slightly, the tip of his mouth turning upwards only for him to force it back down when he caught me staring. I simply smirked in response. He wasn't as immune to feelings as he would like everyone to believe.

Jesse nudged me, and a second later we were both digging through our bags and looking for our bathing suits.

Once we found them, Jesse grabbed my arm and pulled me towards the bathroom, breaking my gaze from Bryce. "Come on," she said. "Let's go change."

The second the door was closed and locked, Jesse began stripping down and talking at the same time.

"Hurry and put on your suit," she quietly said, rushing to get into her own. "I cannot wait to see Bryce's face when he sees you in it."

I flinched, already picturing his look of utter disinterest and the snarky comments that were sure to come from his mouth.

"I wouldn't get your hopes up if I were you," I told her, pulling my shirt over my head. "He doesn't care."

"He sure seemed to care when we were talking about that lifeguard."

Struggling to get out of my pants due to my bad arm, Jesse had to stop what she was doing for a second and help, pulling them down while I wiggled out.

"He was just annoyed because of our talking," I said afterwards. "Besides, this is a one-piece."

Jesse sighed, tying on her bikini top and pulling her hair back in a pony-tail. She looked good, of course. She was the type of beautiful I could never even hope to compete with. But she was also my best friend, and that meant more