Chapter 26

The trip home was long and tiring.  Boston driving was a lot scarier than in most other cities, especially when you lacked any sort of sleep.  The trip in itself had been mind boggling. She had mentioned a blend of ancient Christian history or mythology, whatever you chose to believe, the Vatican, Ellington's missing centuries that had possibly gotten her recognized as a master, and a bond. But none of it made sense, or seemed to link together other than a basic timeline.

My mind turned to Avery, the lone wolf.  I had never heard of him talk about the history of the Weres. Never did he talk about Lilith, and most of what I had learned about Weres had been from him.  I wonder if he knew the mythos.

Would my mother have told me it when I was a child?  I let my foot weigh down on the gas pedal, and swerved around a slow moving driver.  Not that it mattered. All I knew was without my humanity I would of bent to Malak's cruelness. Still, it wasn't like the Librarian told me anything Julian wouldn't have been able to.  She didn't really seem to know much about Lady Ellington, which was why she needed to research.  

I flipped open my phone and dialed Julian but he didn't answer.  I sighed, looking down at my phone as it went to voicemail.  Maybe there was a way to get into her inner circle.  If I could infiltrate her circle, I might be able to get enough evidence to tie her down.  But there was no way she would trust a Dhamphri, let alone one that just sporadically showed up wanting to join her. And since she was in league with Malak, it would be obvious that I would never willing want to join her.

By the time I pulled into the drive, I was furious.  Julian hadn't returned my call, and I was ready for a long hot shower. Then I want to go to sleep and forget about the entire day.  I'd contact Valentin and Avery in the morning and see if they had made any progress.  I had had enough of the supernaturals for one night.  

I stomped up my stairs, elbow deep, rummaging in my bag for the house key. I hadn't had a chance to attach the house key to my rental.

I swore, about ready to dump the bag onto the pavement.  Where the hell were my keys?  My eyes were getting wet, and I blinked back tears of frustration.  I sank to my knees and pressed my palms against my eyes.  I just needed to relax, to breath for a moment.  I took in a deep breath, pulling the air into my lungs from my nose, and slowly out my mouth.  I could hear the pressure beat against my ear drums, echoing in my head.

I let the cold air envelope me, bringing me peace. I just needed some sleep. In the morning, it would be clearer. And I'd take whatever the next step would be.

As my feet crossed the threshold, I turned, checking the ward Rebecca had placed. It flared light blue. Nothing had disturbed it. I dropped my bag by the table and let the door slowly close behind me.

Before I had moved back home, I had at least known peace. Now my nerves were shot. I never thought I would be back to watching my back, tip-toeing through my own home waiting for both physical and emotional danger. But now...

I hung my head. I hated letting Brianna down. Her request had seemed so simple. Stay out of trouble as I had when I was in AZ, and now here I was up to my neck in death and intrigue and I finally felt alive again.

I had through I had grown up, and was past the need to fuel my anger, fear and need for vengeance. But the adrenaline pulsed through my veins like an old friend.

An old drug that I had sorely missed.

I paced in the kitchen. Maybe I hadn't completely lied and betrayed Brianna. I certainly hadn't sought out Julian or Malak and while meeting with Julian definitely would upset Brianna, the knowledge of Malak being out there would have come about at some point. It was only a matter of time before he had started to stalk me. Malak's obsession was me. He would always hunt me.