Chapter 5

Julian had reached the staircase, easily moving through the crowd before going up the stairs. The over-head lights began to darken just as little golden lights began to lite up along the banister of the staircase, leading up to a balcony.

Bathed in golden light at the top of the stairs, stood who I could only guess was Glinda the Good Witch, in a varying pink chiffon dress. Pearly white teeth seemed to glitter in the dim light. Brown ringlet curls fell around her face, stopping just barely past her jaw-line and bounced as she swayed back and forth, surveying the ballroom. From what I could see, she appeared on there shorter side, a little over five feet. As a spotlight appeared on her, she waved her wand across the room, leaving a trailing silver light. Ruby red slippers were on her feet. Slowly she began to descend.

I had lost sight of Julian where the room darkened, but was relieved to find him perched near the stairs. His eyes were on the bowling ball in pink, only coming off her to quickly sweep the room before returning to her. He stayed to the shadows, even as the spotlight followed her down the stairs. She cascaded down each step, a trail of pink sweeping the steps behind her. As she reached the landing, her hand alighted upon the golden bannister.

"Welcome to our third Annual Vampire Ball." Her voice was soft, but confident as she addressed the guests like her court. "My name is Lady Ellington, Master of Boston. Thank you all for joining me, to celebrate the unity between our communities."

There was swell of applause and I tried not to gag. So this was the Master of Boston. Her costume gave her greeting merit. It said, "Do not worry, for I am the Good Witch." But anyone who had ever seen the movie, knew Glinda was just a power hungry witch who wanted to see all the other witches dead. Why else would she have Dorothy kill the Wicked Witch of the West if she had the power to go home inside her the entire time. Talk about a psychopath.

The applause began to die down, only to have loud whispering replace it. A man was moving through the crowd. Dandelion colored straw peaked out from the brim of his hat. Tall and lean, he was clad in a plaid shirt and overalls, and was leaving a trail of straw behind him. A fake black crow birched on his shoulder. He was stumbling forward, like a drunk, his limbs stiff with a dazed look on his face. Another glamour. I growled low in my throat. No one else seemed to be reacting though. Maybe they thought it was staged, an act, but I could taste the pheromones in the air. The hairs on my arms stood up on end as anxiety swam through my stomach.

I had a feeling where this was about to head. Somewhere incredibly illegal as the presence of vamp pheromones told me he wasn't a consenting partner. All eyes were on the Scarecrow as he moved fluidly to Lady Ellington.

He knelt before her, his body limp as if his bones had truly been replaced with hay. She smiled, acting shocked and bashful.

"What is this? An offering?" Her lips twisted, a soft pink seductive smile. She curtsied, before dropping her hand to caress the Straw Man's face. He rubbed his face against her white glove and with a sweeping motion of her skirts, she knelt down beside him. He was leaning against her, turning into her touch, extending his neck.

Oh no. Oh no no no. I began to back up, jumping when I heard the growl behind me. I turned seeing another Big Bad Wolf costume. The smell of the forest surrounded him with just the hint of an animal smell. A true were. I began to stammer an apology, but a small gasp brought my attention back to the scene in front of us.

Lady Ellington was nuzzling his neck, her lipstick brushing shimmering pink lines. Her fangs were exposed now, pressing against her lower lip. The Scarecrow sighed with pleasure, basking in her pheromones, which wasn't surprising as he was being rolled by a master vampire. It would be orgasmic. He would have given her his life if she asked.