Chapter 20

Resigned, Diana pulled a black Dooney & Bourke bag up into her lap and fished out something small. Giving a quick scan to make sure no one was approaching the table, she revealed the small vial, dangling it in front of us, her teeth biting her lower lip.

The glass vial was a small blood catch, something I hadn't seen since my last trip to the doctor's office to get stabbed by the local phlebotomist. A viscous red fluid moved as she dangled the vial, moving to coat the sides with a ruby red, stopping at the plastic cap. Not more than a milliliter or two, though it looked like a lot more in such a small vial. My gut lurched, even though the blood was not unexpected. I held my composure, but there was no fooling three experienced Weres.

"Aw, how adorable, she's nervous," Diana clucked, watching me with a twisted smile playing across her face.

Avery ignored Diana's comment as well as the subtle change in my demeanor, taking the vial from her hand and looking it over.

"Is it fresh?" His eyes left the vial in his hand and met Diana's. She leaned closer to the table, closer to Avery.

"Drained just this morning."

Avery's eyebrow furrowed. "How'd you manage that? Drain it yourself?"

Diana laughed, a gentle yet teasing noise that irritated me. "Tsk tsk. We all have our little secrets, Avery. Don't we?" She smiled, her white teeth glittering like he was a delicious steak, just about to be devoured.

Avery's postured changed, from relaxed to rigid. His arm slipped out from behind me and fixed Diana in his gaze. "We do, Diana. But you are the one looking for protection from the Boston Pack. And to get that, there can't be any secrets in this business. If it's not profitable, then it's not worth the risk."

Diana pouted, but the air had changed around her. Fear? Nerves? I could see the little nuances that her body was expressing as she mulled Avery's words over, chewing on her lower lip. Her foot was also tapping the floor. Fast paced like a drummer hitting sixteenth notes. Avery had relaxed again, sinking back into the seat. He held the cards here, not Diana. She was just a junky looking for someone to watch her and her dealer's ass.

Shrugging her shoulders after seeing that the pout had no power over Avery, she clicked off the cap of the small crystal vial. "It's pretty powerful. A drop or two is all you need. And," She paused tapping one long red fingernail against the wooden table. "It's expensive shit. So definitely profitable."

She held out the vial to Avery who looked it over without moving from his lounge.

"You're the seasoned pro, Diana. You first."

This was the part I was not looking forward to. I gave a fake little smile as my stomach roiled. Diana was too eager to show off and had already brought the vial to her lips, her tongue snaking out to touch the top of it. Brian checked his watch.

"Better hurry up if you guys plan to find a place to spar afterward."

Wait, what? No one had mentioned a fight. I looked up at Avery whose eyes never left Diana. Why did he even bother having me come along if he was just going to keep me out of the loop? Annoyed, I focused on that and tried to ignore Diana.

"Bottoms up," she whispered and knocked back the vial, her tongue flicking out again to dab the last of the blood from the vial and her lips. Taking a deep breath, she closed her eyes in ecstasy, letting the now trapped breath escape from her nostrils.

I watched her, my nerves increasing. I could only remember Kaylen, and how he slurred and had lost any light behind those dark eyes. But, Diana's eyes didn't darken. They never lost the flirty edge as she watched Avery. Even though I had stiffened when she began to drink, Avery had remained calm, his attention rapt on her. Brian's hand swept the table, catching the empty vial and dumping it into Diana's lap. I looked up, as the waitress appeared with our meals.