Chapter 22

The cold air of the night was almost as solid as the wooden door that Diana had just crashed through. It snaked into my lungs, burning as it froze the air inside me.

But at the same time, it cleared my mind.

The majority of the cars had vacated. No one wanted to be around when the BSU showed up if they didn't realize that they were already here. I couldn't stop though.

My eyes surveyed the area looking for a place I could dart under at least until I could get my gun... I swore. That was long gone, abandoned in the restaurant now.

I didn't have time for this shit. I could hear her paws or feet, whatever they were now, pounding on the asphalt. Panic started to overwhelm the adrenaline. There was nowhere to hide out here. Out of the corner of my eye, a sleek reddish wolf with a white painted chest and hind legs was running full speed towards the restaurant doors. At first I didn't recognize him, but then I realized it was Brian. He had successfully flushed out all the innocents, to cut down on any unnecessary fatalities and now he was coming back to help us.

I turned just as he slammed into Diana, toppling her, using the built up speed to overpower her strength. She rolled, pinned under him, her muzzle snapping wildly at Brian's throat. He hopped off of her, dodging her bites. In one single fluid motion she was back on her feet, her focus now on the one who had attacked her.

The one that had made her miss her target.

I realized, if he hadn't tackled her, she would have had me.

I ignored the feeling and used the time to grab the silver knives tucked into my boots. It was hard enough to run from something stronger and faster than you, to dodge and strafe your way to safety. It didn't leave a lot of time to unsheathe weapons and the easier of my weapons were gone.

I threw myself behind a Ford Escape, slouching down. Hiding at this point wasn't really an option. She'd be able to smell me when she came for me. But it did give me a second to catch my breath and start readying some sort of defense.

I didn't have my katana with me, that would have screamed: "Danger, Will Robinson" instead of the "I'm a harmless human" persona that I had been going with.

However, I never went anywhere into Were territory without my trusty silver knives. I slipped my hand into the cusp of my boot and pulled free two long silver knives. They were for close combat, but at this point, any combat with Diana was going to be up close and personal. The sound of fighting pierced the night as I turned each knife in my hand, testing my flexibility. There was a sudden violent thump, as something slammed into the Ford, startling me as I launched myself to my feet to avoid being knocked over.

A triumphant howl sounded not far off.

Someone had been thrown into the car. And my guess was that it wasn't Diana.

I sprinted out from behind the Ford, only to see a bloody mangled looking Diana stalking towards me. Her leg was injured, but she didn't limp, the power coursing through her, giving her the ability to ignore the pain that she had to be feeling. A long slender tongue snuck out of her mouth, wrapping itself around her muzzle, cleaning what I feared was Brian's blood off. From the corner of my eyes, I could see the slouched figure of a wolf.

Brian. And he wasn't moving from where he had fallen after impact.

I couldn't worry about him right now.

"I'm going to tear you apart." Her voice was different now. The husky voice was deep and raspy, restricted by the change to the vocal cords. Her eyes were back on me though. The threat had been dealt with, and now she was focused back on her prey.