Chapter 2

The small woman leaned back in her chair, holding my application in front of her. She pulled a pencil out from behind her ear, brushing blonde high-lighted strands from her pixie cut back. She jabbed at the application with the eraser making small smack noises against my application.

She looked up, meeting my eyes, and I tried to look like the person she wanted to hire. Lively, friendly, approachable, I told myself over and over.

"How's the coffee?"  

"Uh," I dropped my gaze down, looking at the complimentary Starbucks that apparently came with the interview. Why had I let Bree talk me into this again?

"It's good, thanks," My eyes shot to her Books-In-Print name tag for a reminder. "Elizabeth." I took an obligatory sip and tried to keep my smile as the nutty, yet scalding coffee burned a path to my belly.

She smiled, as if I had just passed the "polite test" before looking back at the application.

"Let's see," she said as she clicked her tongue against the roof of her mouth.  "Degree from Arizona State University...  hmm two I see.   Well, if you work here, we have very competitive wages and benefits. And since you have a degree, we'll go ahead and start you fifty cents above our starting wage." She looked up at me and I flashed a fake smile. Ooh, fifty cents. But it wasn't McDonald's, and at least it hadn't been another phone call telling me that I was overqualified.  And I liked books with discounts. People, not so much, but books I could handle.

"That would be great." The words tumbled down my scorched tongue. Bree would be happy.  

Elizabeth smiled, picking up a stack of paperwork. The usual, disclosures, waivers, tax forms. I took them from her and placed them in the black binder I had brought with me.  

"Your first shift is on Monday. 8:00AM! If you can fill out that paperwork and bring it with you, we'll get you started in our customer service booth." She stood, gesturing her hand to me. I shook her hand before getting up to my feet.

"That'll be great. Thanks again." She nodded and headed towards the back room, while I headed towards the door to the parking lot, nursing my coffee in my hands.

I slipped out the side door of the store, and nearly spilt my coffee as my sister, Brianna, descended upon me.

"Did you get it? Did you get it?" She asked excitedly as she swept wisps of brown layered strands of hair out of her face.  

I jumped back, nearly smacking into the giant pane glass windows. "Jesus, Bree," I growled as my heart leapt into my throat. Why had I told her that I had an interview here today? "You are going to give me a heart attack."  

She grinned back at me, her blue eyes sparkling. "Well?" she asked again, her eyes widening in a knowing expression.

I rolled my eyes, snorting. "Yeah. Did you really doubt I would?" The door to the store opened and closed behind us, and I pushed my sixteen year old sister towards the parking lot.  

"I woulda called you. You didn't have to come stalk me," I grumbled walking towards my VW GTI that was parked in the second row.  

Bree's light giggle filled the air and my annoyance with her softened. She looked fantastic, dressed in a simple oriental styled wrap dress, with flowers snaking up the fabric. Thick knee high brown leather boots guarded her legs as she danced across the parking lot, following me. If I was a little rain cloud, Bree was the burst of sunlight always chasing away the rain

"That's great Ral, really great! Only been back in town for a week and already employed." She reached the black GTI, leaning against the hatch, before turning around to face me. "Boston's unemployment rate's pretty high right now. That's something to be real proud of."