"You sound like Emerson."

   "The Alpha knows firsthand what happens when people meddle." She waved off Madeline's curious look. "The others that attempted to interfere are no longer here. Stay out of it Madeline. I don't want to see anything happen to you."

   Madeline nodded in agreement, however, she said something completely different in her head. She would meddle and she would get to the bottom of what was happening. This was her Pack now and she would do everything in her power to ensure the wellbeing of the wolves that resided in it.

   Casey set her empty glass down. "We should go out and have a girls' day. Get our nails and hair done, a massage..."

   "As wonderful as that all sounds," Madeline said, "The big bad Alpha won't let me leave the Pack House. If I even try to get close to the door, my shadows intervene. But that doesn't mean we can't have one here. We can do our nails and watch chick flicks."

   "Even better. I'll pick out the movies and snacks and you go get the polish."

   The girls split up, both going in different directions. Madeline gathered her things from the bathroom. She carried them to the living room and set it down on the coffee table, next to the bottle of wine and candies.

   "So, what are we watching first?" Madeline asked.

   "Mean Girls."

   "I like you're thinking."

   Each girl refilled their wine glasses and took a sip from it. Casey turned the movie on and the both curled up on the couch.

   They watched several movies and went through several glasses of wine. They painted their fingers and toe nails. They talked about their childhood memories and shared embarrassing stories of their siblings that had them laughing so hard they snorted. Even the two guards stationed in the room released a chuckle now and then.

***

   It was well after dark by the time Emerson had finished with his meetings and paperwork. He dismissed Madeline's guards as he passed them in the hallway. He slipped inside his Wing quietly, knowing his mate would be- or at least should be- asleep by now.

   He was baffled to see a brunette head laying down next to a blonde head. Th blonde head belonged to him, but the other girl, he wasn't quite sure who she was and why she was here. As he crept closer, he noticed it was the girl from the Boutique in the market place. She made Madeline's Mating dress.

   He shook her awake. "Jackson, make sure Casey gets home safely."

   Emerson scooped his mate up in his arms and carried her to their bedroom. A smile formed on his lips as her arms wrapped around his neck, but disappeared as soon as it formed.

   No. Emotions could get involved. She was only here to be the glue that held the Pack together and bare him an heir. Things would get too complicated if feelings got involved. They would be distracted from what they were there to do. He couldn't allow that. His Pack was his number one focus, and it had to remain that way.

   He laid her down on the bed gently and tucked her under the covers. He pressed a kiss to her brow before he could stop himself. He skipped on the shower and just got ready for bed. He could take a shower in the morning when he wasn't in danger of passing out.

   He climbed into bed and pulled Madeline against his chest so he was spooning her. To soothe his wolf. That was the only reason. Not because he wanted too. Not because he was worried, but because his wolf was. Yes, that was it.

***

   There was a heavy weight on his chest when Emerson woke up. It took him by surprise. Why would there be something so heavy on him? It wasn't like he had a perso-