Chapter Fourteen

Sebastian had never been more worried in his life, not even when Natalie went into labor. And he was frantic when she had gone into labor.

   He was pacing in his private office, waiting for the phone to ring. Waiting for news, any update on his sister. He couldn't help but feel as if he was responsible. He was the one who offered her the arrangement. He let her go.

   And now she was hurt, badly.

   His little sister, who had suffered so much, had almost died. He almost lost his little sister. And it was all his fault. He didn't protect her. He was her brother, he was supposed to protect her.

   Sebastian sat down on the couch and gripped his hair. Tears welled in his eyes. Why Madeline? What did she ever do to deserve this? She was a good girl, though a little mischievous as a child. She lost her mate, her child, and now she has almost lost her life. She did nothing to deserve these horrors that had occurred to her.

   The door creaked open and soft footsteps thudded closer to him. His mate's soft body sat next to him and molded into him. She cradled his head to her chest. His muscled arms wrapped around her waist.

   He broke.

   Ugly sobs racked his body.

   Natalie rocked his body and stroked his hair as he cried. She whispered sweet words in his ear in an attempt to calm him down. It took time, but the tears eventually stopped flowing downing his cheeks.

   Her thumbs brushed away stray tears from his cheeks. Her lips pressed to his forehead, his nose, and lastly, his lips. Just as she pulled away, he locked his head behind her head and pulled her back in for the kiss. He swiped his tongue along her lips, in a silent demand for her to open up to him.

   She did almost immediately.

   He swept in, tasting her, welcoming the familiarity of her.

   He had to force himself to pull back from Natalie. He pressed his forehead to hers. It was not the time nor the place.

   He lifted his head and looked down at his mate. He caressed her cheek. "I love you."

   "And I love you. Now, what was that all about?" She inquired.

   He dropped his head in defeat. "I failed her," He whispered. "She was supposed to be safe and yet she's hurt. I'm her brother. I'm supposed to protect her and I didn't."

   "Oh, Sebastian." Her hands were on his face again. "It's not your fault. You didn't know this would happen. There was nothing you could have done to protect her."

   "I shouldn't have let her go. I should have kept her here, where I could keep her safe."

   "To do what then? She was wasting away here, you know that as much as I did. This place reminds her of everything she ever lost." Natalie's voice rose. "There, she has a purpose. There, she is not wasted. She is doing good. She is taking care of the Pack. She is needed there more than we need her here."

   Sebastian stood and began pacing the floor again. "And yet she was injured, so much so that they could have lost her. I could have lost her."

   "And if she was here she could have been hurt all the same, worse even. Yes, she is hurt, but she will be fine. You need to stop beating yourself up about it."

   Sebastian opened his mouth to speak but the phone rang. He all but leaped to the phone. He picked it up.

   "Alpha Sebastian speaking."