Chapter Thirteen

The Alpha kept nudging his mate. She couldn't go to sleep. He would lose her if she did. He couldn't lose her. He kept whining and whimpering, trying to urge her to get up.

   There was movement in the corner of his eye. One of his pack was moving closer. He was going to steal his mate!

   He growled and bit at him and he jumped back.

   The Alpha settled back over his frail mate, protecting her. He wouldn't let anyone touch her, harm her. He would kill them all before letting anyone near her. No one would ever touch his mate again. No one.

   Someone else moved forward and he growled again, biting at him. He sensed someone approaching from behind and he turned and snapped at her as well. They kept moving in from all sides and the Alpha kept driving them away.

   His mate moved slightly, catching his attention. He moved off of her and leaned his muzzle down to her. His breath caused her hair to stir. He nosed her cheek.

   Come on. Move. Get up. Be well my mate.

   But no matter how much he wanted her too, she just wouldn't get up.

   A woman approached, carrying a bag at her. The Alpha quickly covered his mate and snapped at the woman. She bared her neck to him but did not back away. Instead, she crept closer.

   He was just about to pounce on her when his Beta intercepted. His Beta growled, though he bared his neck when the Alpha towered over him. The Beta rubbed up against his Alpha's side in a calm and soothing manner.

   His Beta barked, reassuring him that the woman was there to help his mate.

   He only shifted his body we necessary and he kept a close watch on the woman. He would not allow her to hurt his mate. His precious mate.

   When the Alpha heard his mate make a sound of discomfort, he growled and snapped his jaws in warning to the woman. He would kill anyone who hurt his mate. She was his to protect and he had failed. So he would not let it happen again.

   The woman spoke words he could not understand. All he knew was that the woman had stopped and his mate was not better.

   Why wasn't she better?

   Someone moved forward. The Alpha watched him very carefully. But when he started to reach for his mate, he bit his arm. No one would touch her, take her, harm her. He let go of the man and back up to his mate, taking his place back over her.

   There was something sharp that pierced his thigh and then everything went black.

***

   One thing for sure, Emerson was not in his room. The question was, where was he and why was he there?

   He sat up in the bed and looked around.

   The infirmary. That's where he was-

   Emerson's eyes landed on Madeline, laying on the bed next to him. And she-she looked terrible. She had several bandaged wrapped around her and there were more bruises than he could count.

   Right. The attack. Rogues had attacked his mate. His mate. He had lost control of his wolf. He just remembered his vision going red when he saw that Rogue ready to kill her. He just remembered bits and pieces after that.

   He slid off the bed and dressed in the clothes left for him. He pulled a chair up next to her bedside and sat down. He swallowed and ran a hand through his hair. "I-I'm sorry. It's my fault you're hurt. I didn't protect you."