| Chapter 22 |

"I guess hiding in your room is on your agenda huh?"

"Why not? I have done it before."

"So what are you going to eat?" Angela sat beside me.

I realized my stash had ceased to exist and now I was down to a bag of chips and a hot bottle of juice. The stash would not keep me sane for more than a half a day. I had no choice but to exit my room.

"I don't think he's mad Amira." Angela nudged me.

"And you know this how?" I popped open the bag of chips.

"If he was, I'm pretty sure we would all know.

My face scrunched up in distaste. I could not believe it. The last thing I wanted to do was leave this room and have to confront Xavier face to face.

"Okay, well if you feel so awful about it, how about you apologize to him."

"Apologize? Hell no. Why would I even go near him? Thanks Angela but I rather keep my head on my shoulders."

She laughed. I pouted. I didn't find it funny. He would punish me for speaking to him the way I did. I guess staying away from him was my only option....

Like a mouse in the home of a cat, I scurried around the house when all was quiet. After attending training sessions, I would disappear from the crowd and up to my room before anyone would notice that I was missing. At night, I would rush down to the kitchen and dig through the refrigerator and cabinets for food, taking it back to my room before anyone would notice.

It was actually getting ridiculous. I felt like a rodent in the house. I sat in my room, listening to everyone disperse to their room for the night. This was my cue. I slipped on my slippers, slipped out of my room and took to the kitchen.

I inhaled. The kitchen smelt of leftovers from today's meal. My inner animal purred with delight. I rushed over to the cabinets. Cookies. Cakes. Bottle water. Juices. I stuffed a few snacks into my pockets and opted to carry the water with my hands. I popped open a packaged cake to taste.

"Is that dinner?" I nearly leaped from my skin.

"Shit, it's just you."

"What the hell are you doing?" Allen took notice of the pocket full of food and the cake stuffed in my cheeks.

"Well I just came down for something to snack on."

"Snack or your dinner for the night?" He raised an eyebrow at me.

"Both." I voiced in a whisper.

"Look, I don't know what's going on however I suggest you fix it. You have been eating junk like it's a full course meal." He walked over to the refrigerator, pulling a beer from one of the shelves before he popped the top with ease.

I exhaled a heavy sigh. I looked down at the junk that was in my hands. He was right. I was skipping out on hot meals because I was afraid to confront my demons. Well Xavier to be exact.

"You're right." I shoved the snacks back into the cabinet before I dismissed myself from the kitchen.

My legs were like jelly, wobbling and unbalanced as I made my way down the halls toward Xavier's room. My mouth felt parched and the knot in my stomach was not helping me either. I stood just inches from the door, staring at the thick wood as I thought of a million reasons to go back to my normal routine.

Then I thought of a million reasons as to why I needed to do this. I needed to confront him. I could not hide any longer. With jittery hands and weak limbs, I knocked on the door gently, almost hoping he would not answer.