Chapter 17: His Mourning Cry

Ludwig and the group are finally inside St. Peter's Basilica. Feliciano is waiting for them...inside...and so is the Holy Roman Empire.

/=+=/

Maybe it was because of the fact that the Italian was his master. Maybe it was because he held the will of the German. But whatever it was, it was making the dog the lead tracker of the party. Everyone quickly followed his light footsteps, making sure that he didn't leave their sight. No one said a word, not even the ever-talking American.

Feliciano...where are you?

As he ran farther and farther into the building, he could feel his emotions boiling up inside him, newly awakened after years of sleeping...or maybe finally reaching out now that they knew that he was reaching back? All he knew was that he had to get him back...even if it meant that he had to face himself.

How did he get a hold of you, Feli? You fell off that cliff to save my life... He shook his head. He must've wanted to save you...the same way I wanted to save you. Maybe he isn't all as insane as I thought...

The dog stopped, making everyone stop as well. Everyone looked up and saw a strange figure: a young man in a white robe, travelling as of sleep walking with a canvas in his arms, toward the side of the building. He didn't even bother to look at any of them in the eye.

"That was Italy!" Seyel gasped.

"Thanks for pointing that out!" Romano screamed. "After him!"

Almost on cue, the dog started up again. He was really fast, but then again so was Lovino. Everyone had to run as fast as they can just to see the dust clouds from his shoes. Once they finally stopped, they saw the Italian and the dog looking around an empty hallway, confusion written all over their faces.

"Where the hell did he go?" He darted his head around.

"He just vanished?" Elizabeta asked. "That's confusing...I don't think he can walk through walls..."

"Maybe he drew a door?" Gilbert asked. "I mean...he can draw stuff and bring 'em to life, right?"

"Would it really be that easy, aru?" Wang Yao looked up.

Everyone stared in the room, wondering if there was going to be any indication of either a trap or an indication of where the Italian went. Suddenly, the whole room went cold and the sounds of sobbing could be heard.

"Shinsei Roma..."

The echoes of the crying made everyone jump in their skin, shivers going down their spine. The one who had it worse, however...actually, you know what? To save him some form of dignity, I won't be saying his name out loud.

...

OK, fine. It's Alfred. Happy?

"GAAAH! W-w-w-w-w-w-w-what the heck was that?"

"It's a girl..." Nel turned his head. "Really young one at that."

Everyone looked around at the sound of a young girl, her cries echoing all around them. Alfred was really starting to freak out and was clinging desperately onto Arthur, who for once didn't try to throw him off. Ludwig was the only one who didn't seem to be scared of it. In his mind, the voice was saying something else.

"Doitsu..."

"That wasn't a human..." Ludwig looked up to the staircase. "That was Feliciano."

"Italy? No, that's a girl's voice..." Seyel answered.

"Wait...I hear him too!" Lovino looked around. "Veneziano! Where the hell are you?"

"You're hearing things. That was a girl." Vash stated.