Chapter 16: His Betrayal

With all their hands supposedly tied, everyone is now forced to wait a few more hours until they do a massive jump into St. Peter's Basilica. Waiting sucks, doesn't it?

/=+=/

No one wanted to just wait at the hotel, so they decided to wander around the city. And that, for the most part, consisted of everyone actually acting like tourists and taking pictures and stuff. Of course, Ludwig had to take some time to think. So he decided that he was going to find a nice meadow just outside of the city and think.

Fortunately, he found a hidden place that no one seemed to go through. He hiked through the area until he found a small place with nothing but sunlight and a rock, then sat down and sighed. He knew that he would have to go back and save Feliciano. It meant that he would have to go face a part of himself that he hadn't seen in centuries. A part of him that Italy still held dear to him and will not be able to let go, even though he had tried to kill the both of them.

"Italy...this entire time, you've always been looking to me for advice and guidance..." He looked down to the pocket watch in his hand. "But now...I need you to help me...I don't know what to do now..."

"Doitsu..."

He didn't want to look up, but he could imaging Feliciano sitting next to him with that huge grin on his face, swinging his legs like he didn't have a care in the world. Ludwig wished to himself that this was successful and that he would be able to bring him back home...to his home...

"Ve~~~~is Doitsu upset with me?"

"No, of course not..." He answered. "What makes you say that?"

"Doitsu's been quiet this whole time...he doesn't talk to me anymore..."

"Tch...I just have something troubling me, that's all...it's not your fault."

"There's always something bothering Doitsu! Why can't the world leave you alone?"

"Because I am a nation, Italy. The care of my people will always be my top priority. I can't just go ahead and do whatever I want to all the time, like you."

"Ve~~~~you worry too much, Doitsu."

"You'll never know when you're needed. Anything can happen."

"Well, if that's what you feel...then let me help you anyway I can!"

It was then that he realized that there was something by his side. Looking up, he saw that the fire dog from the pocket watch was sitting peacefully next to him, watching him like any other dog. Germany thought that he was going insane until he saw that the dog was missing from the paper in the pocket watch. His head darted back up to the dog, who barked.

And for a glance of a few seconds...he could see his face.

"I'll always be there for Doitsu...no matter what..."

Germany looked at the dog straight in the eye, the cross dangling from his collar, before placing his head on his and crying. No matter what's happening, Feliciano was always there...protecting him...wasn't he?

"Oh, that's cute...that dog's still inconveniencing us, huh?"

His head darted up and saw Feliks standing just a few feet away from him, a grin plastered all over his face. He was about to question him when he suddenly saw him transform into Gilbert and shoot a laser straight at him. Germany was taken aback for a few seconds that he was unable to react. Suddenly, he found himself on the ground, a familiar light hand over his shoulder and the laser missing him completely.

"Bist du in Ordnung [are you alright]?"

"L-Liechtenstein?" He stood up. "How'd you find me?"

"I couldn't trust you alone." She stood up with him. "I was afraid that someone would do something to you."