Chapter 23

I sat silently typing away at my report on why the ancient gods of Egypt had vanished, well the version that would be believed anyway. I glanced at Courtney beside me. She sat with her back rigid as her fingers flew over the key board. “Hey Courtney?” She stopped and looked at me. “Bryn will come to her senses you know. She stops breathing when he gets too close to her and it short circuits her brain.” She sighed deeply and rubbed her temples.

“I know, I just… I just don’t understand how she can’t see him for what he is.”

“You mean an arrogant ass?” She smiled and nodded. “Well I find that when you’re too close to a situation it’s a little hard to see the whole picture, it makes it a little fuzzy even.” I really had no right to put my two sense into the situation. Sometimes I wonder why I bother to defend Bryn, I mean the guy burned me too. But she was my very first friend, she had always been there, especially after my parents died. I knew Bryn was wrong but for some reason she saw something worth saving in Jason. That has to count for something. I looked over at Courtney, her gaze was stuck on the computer screen. Her face was pinched in thought.

“Lucky Kale showed up when he did, I thought that was going to get ugly.” She blinked at the mention of his name.

“Hmm, yes, yes it was.” I narrowed my eyes at her, “What?” I shook my head. She and Kale were completely hopeless.

“I was worried he was going to hit him.” Now she turned fully to look at me.

“He wouldn’t do that, he wouldn’t hurt a fly.” True, often when we found spiders or ants in the classroom he would escort them outside personally. He was also an amazing mediator, probably why he was captain of so many sports teams. But at that moment, the look in his eyes…

“No, I think he would’ve.” Her eyes widened at me. All the signs were there, the tense of the muscles, the clench of the jaw, and the balanced weight on the balls of his feet. He was prepared to throw down, he was just waiting for Jason to make a move. “If Jason hadn’t backed off he would’ve.” She titled her head at me.

“What makes you say that? Kale is such a gentle person. I mean sure he’s competitive during sports and goes all out, but that doesn’t mean he would ever get into a fight.” I gave her bland look. “What?”

“He would if it concerned you.” Her cheeks slightly flushed.

“Don’t be ridiculous, he-”

“He is crazy about you, sure maybe he can’t admit it. But he sees you as someone he cares about, and if Kale is anything, he’s wildly protective.” She sat back in her seat and turned back towards the computer ending the conversation. The bell rang and I picked up my stuff and headed towards the door. A hand reached out and caught my elbow just as I exited. My pulse pounded and I whirled on the person who grabbed me.

“Easy!” I stared at Kale and sighed loudly.

“Don’t grab people like that dumbass.” His gaze drifted to Courtney as she exited. She hugged her books closely to her chest and gave a small smile.

“Hey Court, I was just…um well I was wondering…are you okay?” He was stuttering and mumbling like an idiot. Oh man this was bad. Courtney’s cheeks flushed and she nodded,

“Yeah, I’m fine, that was nothing-”

“It wasn’t nothing!” My eyes widened at Kale’s outburst. Holy crap, the guy was pissed. “He shouldn’t have, no one should ever say those things to you! He was way out of line, I can’t even believe my sister would…” I could hear his teeth grinding. I rubbed his back trying to get him to calm down, we were still at school after all.

“Kale its fine, he can think whatever he wants-”

“But you’re beautiful!” Oh snap. I’m pretty sure my eyes widened as saucers and so did Courtney’s. I glanced at both of them. Courtney stood shell shocked and Kale, well he had his game face on. He was being dead serious. In other words, my presence was no longer needed. I took a step back,

“I’m going to go now, so um, yeah.” Courtney reached for me but I dodged her hand and booked it to my next class. What an idiot, just comes out and randomly says that. I couldn’t help but grin though. At least that idiot was finally getting his act together. I grabbed my phone out my pocket and texted Bryn, asking if she was sane yet. I got an immediate reply saying how bad she felt and how she needed to talk to Courtney immediately to apologize. I replied saying to holding off, that her brother finally grew a pair. I got about ten hearts as a reply.