Chapter 26

I quickly part from Bryn and Courtney and shut myself in my car. I quickly dial Tristan’s number. He picks up on the third ring.

“Hello?”

“They’re here, I can smell them. I mean I don’t know if they all smell the same, but I’m pretty sure it’s them. They’re watching me, oh god they are my school! They saw me with Courtney and Bryn. What if they go after them! I don’t-I can’t-”

“Eleanor!” I take a sharp gulp of air and try to settle down. It’s so hard though! I can feel my claws aching to tear through my skin.

“Sorry, sorry, I’m okay. I mean I’m not okay. I actually feel like I’m going to shift or maybe throw up. Is shift even the right term for it? I mean in the books about werewolves they use the term shift. I’m not a werewolf though-”

“Eleanor you need to breathe. Just focus on your breathing, you are not going to shift do you hear me? Now tell me where you are.” I can barely hear his voice over the blood pounding in my ears. I start to aggressively scratch my arms as my hair grows in black twisted spikes.

“I-I’m at school. In the parking lot. In my car.”

“Okay, I’m coming to get you.” I make a noise in the back of my throat. “You are not going to shift Eleanor. Just hold on.” I hear the roar of his motorcycle through the phone. My vision is starts to blur, or sharpen, or both. I grind my teeth as the pain starts to short circuit my nerve endings and thought process. “Hold on, hold on baby I’m coming!” He sounds almost as panicked as I feel. I can’t shift, not at school, not while those hunters are watching me.

I move and pull myself into the backseat. I curl up on my side and hold my knees to my chest. I try to focus on my breathing but the pain, oh the pain! I slap my hand over my mouth as I cry out. I can barely hear Tristan’s voice through the phone that I discarded on the front seat. Please no one notice me, please no one notice. I spy a blanket tucked under the front seat and quickly pull it over me. I arrange it so it’s covering my face. My back arches suddenly and I can feel my bones breaking. Mao please, do something! I can’t shift here, it’s not safe!

You are correct, but only if you cannot control it.

I’m trying! But it hurts, it hurts so goddamned bad!

No Eleanor, do not control the change. Take control of your freedom. This life, this gift was given to you for a reason. It can either be your salvation or your curse. You must decide.

How is this freedom? This is pain, excruciating pain! I curl tighter into myself. Please Tristan, hurry!

Let go Eleanor.

An inhuman sound escapes my lips and I trembled from the heat my body is producing. I don’t want people to see, I don’t want to hurt anyone, I don’t want to put my friends and family in danger. If I let go I can’t…

Can’t what?

I can’t protect them.

I drag air into my lungs deeply and feel my face and body contort. Like and elastic band wound too tightly and then, released. I take a couple more puffs of air and feel myself relax. I blink and shake the blanket off my head so I can see. I look at the back of my car. I’m okay, I stopped the change!

“Eleanor, you there?” Tristan’s panicked voice pierces and I go to reach for my phone. A black paw lands heavily on my phone. Where is my hand? Oh no, oh no, no no! I look down and see another paw, and swinging into my view; a tail. My tail, oh goddess I have a tail! I realized once more Tristan is frantically calling my name on the phone. I open my mouth to answer but all I hear is a melodic cat noise that sounds suspiciously like a meow. I feel the earth below me tremble. Blood pounds in my head as my hunches go up and my claws come out. I hunker down and watch the door as someone approaches. The door begins to open as I prepare to tear the person’s throat out. The heat in belly lights me on fire and I almost feel their tender neck under my fangs. Their scent wafts towards my nose, the smell of lemongrass and pine hit me, I feel my claws retract.

“Eleanor?” I watch as Tristan peers his head into my car and I wait for him to see me.  My body relaxes as I continue to inhale his scent. He turns and jumps so suddenly that his head hits the roof. “Shit!” He rubs his head and slowly looks at me. “You shifted?” Yes, yes I did, thanks for noticing. He climbs into the driver’s seat and closes the door. Twisting in his seat he turns to fully look at me. His eyes are wide and mouth agape. “You’re, you’re a cat.” I huff in response. “Sorry, I mean a panther. Whoa wait, can you understand me?” My head cocks to the side. He has a nice voice. It’s deep and rich, like honey. He continues to stare at me, his eyes trace every curve that was exposed by the blanket. I almost feel bashful. I huff once more and his eyes snap back to mine. “Uh, sorry, it’s just, you know last time I didn’t really get too look. I mean it was dark and you’re dark and you bolted the second it happened. And I…” he trails off while looking deep into my eyes. I wonder if they are the same color?

My blood pounds in my ears once more and I snarl as something squeezes my chest. It’s panic. They’re too close. My territory, mine. No other hunters, but me. A growl erupts from my chest. They must die, they will leave! Tristan pulls back immediately and puts up his hands. He’s scared, he’s scared of me. That realization hits me harder than the panic. I force myself to calm down, even though every fibre of my being is telling me, needs me to run. The need to protect what is mine is so strong, I almost don’t recognize my own voice. I settle down on the seat and place my head on my paws. I flatten my ears and look up at him.

His face starts to relax, then his body, and finally he puts down his hands. He looks at me for a minute, blinks and twists back toward the steering wheel. “I need to get you out of here,” he mumbles to himself. The roar of the engine snaps me to attention. Before I know what I’m doing my head is in between the seats, right near his shoulder. I nudge him with my nose. He jumps, and hits his head on the ceiling. “Shit!” I sit back and wait for him. He turns to me looking a little surprised. “You scared me Eleanor! Jeez, sneeze or something next time.” He turns back towards the front, pauses, then turns back to me. “You see that blanket?” I blink, “You need to hide under it.” He waits for moment and starts to reach for the blanket, but hesitates for a moment. “Don’t bite my hand off okay?” I huff and try to roll my eyes. I lay my head down and wait. He gently raises and pulls the blanket over my head. I feel the car start to move and my claws instinctively dig into the seat. My stomach starts to roll as the car does. I think I’m going to be sick.