Chapter 9

“Well let us start with introductions. My name is Megan Cross, but feel free to call me Meg if you’d like.” Well I guess I can’t exactly keep calling her Ms. Crazy.

“I’m Eleanor, which you already knew.”

"First tell me what you know about Baset," asked Meg.

"Well from what Google told me Baset was one of the two warrior goddess in league with the sun god Ra. She was one his protectors from the snake god Apep. She was often seen as a cat and protector of woman. She was married to the god Ptah and she was a symbol for the East." Meg nodded her head,

"Good, now that we got the essentials out of the way. I told you before you were one of her direct descendants correct?" I nodded my head.

"This means that you have inherited some of her most obvious skills than your family members. For example your speed and agility will increase. The reason your body is so tight is an effect of your muscles adjusting to their power. Your eyes are also adjusting, so that not only you can see in the dark, but also your perception is sharpened. Your eyes will be able to track things faster, look over great distances as well. In the next few days your back will probably get unbearably sore, due to the fact your spine will break down and remake itself." I cringed and looked down at Sky then and back to Meg.

"So basically I'll turn into a cat."

"No, you'll move and have the abilities of a cat. This included some of their habits. Do you like sushi?"

"Only when it’s cooked." I said,

"Well soon you'll fall in love with raw fish and hate cooked fish." Okay I think I was starting to get this.

“Why is stuff happening to me now?”

“It’s a result of you coming of age. It happens to all direct descendants when they turn eighteen.”

"What about my dreams?"

"Your dreams might be pieces of Baset's memory or a warning of some kind. What kind of dreams did you have?" I closed my eyes trying to remember.

"The first one was about this garden full of flowers and some guy telling me to run. The second was like I was reading her diary of her thoughts; it was like a summary of her life. And the third…."

"The third?" she pushed.

"The third was about Tris-uh, I mean a guy I met. I was playing tag or hide-in-seek and I got stuck in these giant clock gears."

"Hm, interesting. Is that his penmanship on your arm?" The ink was smudged, but it was clear there was writing on it.

"Let me see." I held it out and she grasped it firmly. Squinting into her glasses her mouth moved as she tried to understand the message.

"Run far and fast little kitty...hm, interesting…"

"What’s interesting is that you can read that. I don’t see why it’s of any importance?"

"Humph, you really think Baset was the only God to take a mortal lover?"

"A mortal...So what you’re saying is that the guy I met is another descendant?"

"I suppose, it could be possible, or he could be trying to use you. Ultimately there are thousands of descendants scattered around the world. Only a few families keep to a pure bloodline and retain some of their godliness."

"So I'm part of a pure bloodline?"

"Yes, one of the great families. They are called The Guard. As one of the direct descendants you are called the Neter."

"So my family, like Leo or uncle Malcom would be part of The Guard? What is they guarding exactly?"

"Your bloodline."

"And I'm a part of the Neter?"

"Yes, exactly."

"And the dreams?"

"I cannot give you the meaning of any them. They’re your dreams and you have to figure that out for yourself." Wait, go back a couple of seconds.

“What did you mean by he might be trying to use me? How would he even know who I am?” She took another sip of her tea and I mimicked her.

“Where there is power, there is often people who try to exploit it. Whether he is a descendent or not I advise you to stay away from him. He obviously has some training if he could tell who you were at a glance.” I can’t imagine Tristan trying to hurt me, but then again, I don’t even know the guy. I nodded and looked down at Sky. He was pawing my watch-Oh no! My head shot up,

"What time is it?" Meg looked at the clock.

"About 2:30, why-" I bolt from my chair making Sky hiss at me.

"I'm sorry I got to go!" I yell as I bolted from the house. I sprinted all the way home, which only took seconds this time. I tried not to over think the fact I raced back from the Hills like a bullet. I yank the knob open and burst through the front door and zip inside to see….nothing. The house was dark and quiet, no one was home. I breathe a sigh and slump down into a chair at the kitchen table. I look down at my watch and gaze at the seconds tick by. My eyes began to feel heavy and slowly drooped closed. I almost doze off before I hear the front door open. Great, now the real problem starts.