Chapter 21: War Descends.

The last remnants of night still hung in the sky as Lexa shifted from my sleepy embrace to sit on the edge of the bed. I watched as the flickering candle light illuminated the contours of her body, still mesmerized by the ink upon her back.
"When do you leave?" I asked not wanting to let her go.
She looked back over her shoulder at me, "Its almost dawn. The War Council will call for our armies within the hour. I'm expected to be there."
I sat up from underneath the furs and moved to wrap my arms around her, "There's so much I want to ask of you that I know you aren't able to honour."
Lexa sighed and rested her head against mine as I gently kissed her neck, "If I could stay I would, if there was a way to see this through without bloodshed I would choose that path. I hear the past Commanders in my dreams, they tell me to bring our people to safety, to not be afraid of death if it means life for others and the hope of peace. I have to do everything in my power to save us."
I knew Lexa was burdened by what lay ahead of us, but I also knew the warrior women who would always be compelled to fight for others. As much as I didnt want to see her ride out to meet with Queen Freya's armies, I was so proud of her nature, her determination to see a better future for us all.
"Then let me ride with you, stand by your side as we fight for our people," I urged.
Lexa stood up and began to get dressed, "I made a vow not to send you into harms way. It's the least I can offer your mother after Mount Weather," she said.
"This isn't just about her is it? Returning to The Mountain was always my choice, Lexa. I've caused enough heartache, I won't let you carry the guilt of my decision," I said as I stood and walked over to her.
Lexa sighed in frustration, "Its no longer in my hands. Skaikru have spoken, your name is on that list, Clarke. Not even The Commander has the right to overrule that."
"So I just stand there and watch you ride into battle, not knowing if it'll be the last time I ever see you?" My frustration was turning into anger and Lexa could see it in my eyes.
She pulled me closed and brushed a strand of hair from my face, instantly calming me.
"There's no part of me that has any intension of not seeing you again. Let The Queens warriors bring their war to my lands, let Praimfaya descend upon me, none of it carries  the strength to tear me away from how I feel about you. We will survive this, Skaigada and we will be together."
She kissed me with such intensity, my entire body felt a rush of heat. I knew Lexa's heart and the determination it carried. As much as it pained me to let her go, I knew she would find her way back to me. After all we'd come to far to simply fade away.

Not long after Lexa left, the war horn bellowed out across The Capital, calling our warriors to prepare for battle

I suited up in my armour and took my weapons to meet with Skaikru and those who were to stay behind as the last line of defence for Polis.
As I walked out into the courtyard I could feel the charge in the atmosphere. Warriors were positioned around The Capital, especially in the area of The Flamekeepers Temple, poised to fight for the future of the human race.
I met with Luna and we moved to position  ourselves with Skaikru as an eerie silence filled the centre of Polis. To my right I saw King Roan of Azgeda standing with Echo by his side. He gave me the faintest nod of  acknowledgment, knowing that we were all in this together.
To my left, Lincoln stood with Indra ready to defend the bunker at all costs. Amongst the crowd of those members of Trikru to remain in Polis was another familiar face I wasn't sure I'd  ever see again. Niylah caught my eye and smiled, "You found your way back, Clarke Kom Skaikru."
I returned her gesture, "And you, Niylah Kom Trikru I told you we'd meet again."
Niylah nodded back, "Indeed you did."
We contiuned to smile, contented to see each other again even under such dreadful circumstsnces. I was happy she'd been given the chance to survive Praimfaya, the world needed more people like Niylah with both strength and compassion.
We all waited in anticipation for Lexa to emerge from The Temple. It was her custom to meditate before battle, to connect her mind with The Flame and seek guidence from the past Commanders. It wasn't long before our wait was over.
She walked out of the doors flanked by Anya and Gustus and made her way to the centre of the courtyard. Halting in front of the crowds, she paused to look around at her people with pride before addressing us all.
"On this day we honour those who march into battle for the lives of others and those who stay to protect the future for our people. We cant stop Praimfaya from consuming our lands but we can defend them against Queen Freya and her armies. They seek to take our very future from us, the chance for us to thrive after the world is consumed by fire, I say let them try! Our ancestors survived the first Priamfaya and we will survive the second together as one nation. OGEDA, WONKRU!"
Polis erupted into a roar as the call of unity echoed across the land.
Lexa climbed onto her horse and halted her steed in front of me, "May we meet again, Skaigada."
"May we meet again, Heda," I replied with sorrow and with pride.
She returned a smile before urging her horse towards the gates of Polis, an army of warriors at her back ready to fight for our future.

After Lexa led her warriors out of The Capital each clan made sure their people were positioned in key areas around the city should  The Queen make it through The Commanders forces

After Lexa led her warriors out of The Capital each clan made sure their people were positioned in key areas around the city should  The Queen make it through The Commanders forces. Others were tasked with readying everything we needed for the next five years underground.
Luna and I were stationed with Raven to help her co-ordinate the technology she anticipated she'd require once inside the bunker. As with so many if us I had my concerns about the lasting effects of Praimfaya.
"Will five years be enough time?" I asked her.
"According to my calculations it should be four  and a half, the extra six months acts as a failsafe. Better to be over causious, we're not all lucky enough to be able to process radiation like you Nightbloods," Raven replied with a grin.
The mention of our blood took my mind straight to Lexa. Two hours had passed and still no word from our Commander. Luna saw the tension that had taken over me.
"She'll be ok, Clarke. Lexa is a warrior, she has has every intension of returning from this war."
I nodded, "I hope you're right."
Luna smiled back at me, "You both look as though those hearts have been mended, have faith in how she feels about you. Lexa fights for us all but deep down she fights for you."
Raven was quick to cut in with that famous Reyes sass, "Are you always this romantic, Floukru?"
Luna contiuned to smile, "You have no idea, Skaikru."
The lighthearted, almost flirtatious, moment was a welcome respite from the dread we faced, but as we smiled amongst ourselves that moment of calm was soon shattered by a disturbance from outside of the city walls.
A thunderous sound boomed in the distance, not from the skies but from the ground. Smoke bellowed into the air as the sound of more explosions rumbled out across the land.
We had guns but no hydrazine left for bombs, these were not our weapons of destruction.
As shock filled the hearts and minds of those in The Capital, a stark realisation washed over us all. Unknowingly, Lexa and her forces had marched into a battle out gunned by Queen Freya and the hell fire she brought to this war.