Chapter 18: Queen & Commander.

We kept our distance and waited until  nightfall for her forces to take their rest before making our move.
Lincoln and Gustus held back with Lexa's Sentries should our parley with The Queen turn into something more than a civil conversation. I followed Lexa into the den of the wolf along with Luna, Indra and Anya.
"Keep your blades sheathed unless she moves to attack. We're here for information not bloodshed," Lexa ordered.
As soon as we rode into their camp, Freya's warriors alerted her Generals and were met with aggression. We were surrounded, weapons trained upon us.
"I am Commander Lexa of The Thirteen Clans and I'm here to speak with your Queen!" Lexa called out.
I recognised Freya's General from the oil rig as he approached.
"SENKE VÅPNENE DINE!" He shouted, ordering his warriors to lower their weapons.
"A Commander without an army, you are either a fool or a liar," he mocked.
Lexa's remained stoic, "What or who I am concerns only your Queen not her henchmen. Now, if you're done wasting my time, I have much to discuss with her."
Freya's General looked furious, but held his tongue as he led us to Queen Freya's tent. Before entering he took our weapons and gave us a warning, "We live and die for our Queen, choose your words wisely, Commander."
Lexa didn't reply.
The five of us walked into the domain of The Nordic Queen. She sat, in her armour and warpaint, upon a wooden throne carved with the intricacies of Viking knotwork. Surrounding her were banners bearing the mark of The Second Dawn. She allowed silence to hang in the air before finally speaking, "So you are The Great Commander Lexa. I've been looking forward to this moment."

"If you are aware of my leadership, then you are aware you march upon my lands," Lexa sternly replied

"Who these lands are ruled by is irrelevant to me. Soon all of this will be ash. My interest lies in The Capital you call Polis and what lies beneath it." Freya spoke.
"For someone who is new to our shores you seem to know much about us," Queried Lexa, already searching for the information we needed.
"We know more than you think. We are the Twelve Viking Clans of The Second Dawn," Freya announced proudly.
"Indeed, and we are the Thirteen Clans of Becca Pramheda," Lexa sternly replied.
The Queen grinned at Lexa and motioned to her General. He stepped forward with a large sack and emptied it out in front of Lexa. From it rolled the severed heads of Floukru warriors including that of Chief Aila.
"Now you are Twelve Clans," Queen Freya uttered.
Luna pushed forward in anger at the brutal death of a woman she held so much respect for but was held firmly back by Indra. Lexa never once flinched, keeping her composure even though I knew she wanted Freya dead.
Freya continued, "They were offered the same deal as the two from the oil rig that stand with you, guide us to what we seek and we will offer a place of safety to a chosen few. All but one refused, Ambassador Argento. He was very informative about you and the lands we seek. Such a shame one of the Chiefs of this dead clan cut him down for his betrayal."
Lexa breathed deeply, "You may very well know the exact location of our Capital, march your warriors towards it and call for war, but none of that matters unless you can find the bunker of The Second Dawn. You will still burn in what's to come."

I watched as Lexa held back her fury, knowing that anger wouldn't bring back the dead

I watched as Lexa held back her fury, knowing that anger wouldn't bring back the dead. There was a greater purpose to our meeting with Queen Freya and she intended to see it through.
The Queen wasted no time in making her point, "Let us lay all of our cards on the table, Commander. I believe you know where I can find this sanctuary, yet if you already had access to it you wouldn't be risking your lives standing here in the dead of night with so few warriors at your back."
Lexa's reply was equally as bold as Freya's, "And you, Viking Queen would not be offering space inside that sanctuary to strangers from distant lands if you already knew of its exact location in Polis. So, it seems we both have something the other one wants. I have the bunker and I assume you have the key."
Freya smiled, "And if I did hold such an item, what do you propose?"
"A truce, equal space for our people when the time comes, when the death wave descends," Lexa answered.
I watched as Freya drummed her fingertips upon the journal that rested underneath her hand on the arm of her throne. She looked down at it and pulled a metallic disc from inside the front cover. Upon it was embossed the symbol of The Second Dawn. She played with it in her hand, mocking us with the only thing that could save our people, before turning to look back at Lexa.
"Let me tell you how it will be, Commander. That bunker can house twelve hundred people inside. I have over a thousand that follow me, not all will make it of that I have no doubt. Two hundred places are available, some for the children of your clans, they are the future after all, and some for those of your people I intend to turn into slaves. Did you really think my offer of safety to those who would help in finding what I seek wouldn't come with a price?"
It was meant as an insult to all of us. Lexa was done keeping her temper in check.
"You threaten my people with death and with chains, you have as little honour as your forefathers. Keep your key. You are not the first Ice Queen I have ever defeated. War will decide who will win the bunker and survive the radiation. This meeting is over!"
Lexa turned to walk away as Freya called to her, "I will do everything in my power to save my people even at the cost of yours, Commander Lexa. Fra asken vil vi stige opp!"

The ride back to Polis somehow felt longer than the journey to meet with Queen Freya

The ride back to Polis somehow felt longer than the journey to meet with Queen Freya. The air had started to changed, it felt different like a malevolent force stalking us.
We paused to rest our horses a days ride from The Capital, also to take a moment to absorb the gravity of what lay ahead.
Lexa had taken her leave and stood in solitude in the distance overlooking the moonlight as it glowed off a nearby lake. She was now so burdened by this grave responsibility resting upon her shoulders.
I took an extra cup of water and wandered over to her, risking her wrath.
"Here," I said offering her the water.
Surprisingly she humbly accepted it. "Thank you."
I remained by her side and looked out onto the lake as she contiuned to speak, "It's strange to think that this will all be lost to us. We've fought our way to find an equilibrium with the world and ourselves and now it's about to end."
"We can't stop Praimfaya, but we can do everything it takes to get your people into that bunker," I replied as Lexa turned to face me.
"Our people. What ever has passed between us they're still our people, Clarke." she spoke, showing me a glimmer of empathy for the first time since I returned to face my Commander.
"Tell that to The Clans," I remarked.
"They are still wary of the black blood in your veins and the intensions of those who return from the dead," Lexa said.
"And you, Heda? Do you still wish I were gone from this life?" Sorrow filled my voice.
"You left, Clarke. You made your choice for both of us and you let the world think you were dead, you let me think you were dead," I saw her stoic composure fading as heartache flashed across her eyes.
"I'm sorry, Lexa. There's nothing I can say to make this right. You were always with me. Through all the sorrow and all the pain I never stopped loving you, not even for a second, not even now as we look at what were about to lose from this beautiful yet brutal life."
I feared I'd said too much, been too open with the woman that only days ago had nothing but contempt for me.
Lexa looked at me her eyes glazed as she held back her tears, "You broke my heart, Skaigada and I have no energy left to put it back together. Maybe it's better for us both if it stays that way."
I felt a tear fall from my eye, "If that is your wish then I will respect that. All I know is we face the end of the world, Heda and I would rather bow out in your embrace than in the arms of regret."