plotting

You had to break the kiss to breathe. Maybe it was the magic in the air, maybe it was fate, but as you took a deep breath, there was a breeze. In the middle of the desert and run-down buildings and ruin.

What wasn't fate, was Newt tightening his hold on you as he looked up to the sky.

In a second, you were running. Newt, limp and all, was running faster than you. For a moment, you let Newt pull your weight and you looked behind you.

A helicopter.

"Newt!" you shouted.

He tightened his grip on your hand to let you know he's listening. Like Isaac used to do.

"What if it's Thomas?"

"It's not," he shook his head, still running and not looking at you.

"They're going to catch up with us at this rate."

Newt began to frantically look around. Then he took a sharp left.

"There's a cave there, behind the rubble."

You noticed that Newt began to slow down. His limp was taking its toll on him. "Just a little more, Newt."

Newt ran a lot during his time in Phase 1. You can tell. His endurance was impeccable. You made a mental note to ask him.

You lifted your eyes to see that the cave was still a few feet away. Suddenly, Newt fell. He recovered quickly, but his knees began to give out every few seconds.

The helicopter was right above you now.

"I can't go on, Y/N. Go! I'll be fine." Newt lied down on the sand, clutching his foot.

"I'm not going anywhere," you shook your head and knelt down beside him.

"You have a death wish, woman? GO!"

You felt the helicopter lowering itself to the ground.

"I will never forgive you if you don't run, Y/N."

Kissing him once on the lips, swallowing down your tears, you stood up and ran to the cave.

Out of nowhere, a man wearing all black and a mask on his face exited the cave, running. You pushed yourself to the entrance of the cave before looking back to see the man lifting Newt up and running back towards you.

"Get in the damn cave, Y/N!"

You obeyed. 

There to welcome you was yet another man in all black, gesturing to a smaller entrance in the cave. "Get in, please," he said through the mask.

You could barely fit, but you did.

You entered a much bigger room, enclosed in rocks, the only light source being oil lamps and even a few dim light bulbs. Five or six maskless men were in the room, all of them looking at you. They looked young. About your age.

"We're on your side." one said from the far corner. "We won't hurt you."

"Make way!" Someone said from behind you.

You stepped aside anxiously, and the masked man came in. He stopped as soon as he was in the room, knelt down, and pulled a grunting Newt in.

The masked man pulled his mask off. "Newt, you okay?"

Newt looked shocked. "Gally?"

The man -- Gally -- rolled his eyes. As if he were tired of hearing it. "The one and only."

"But... y-you're dead!"

"No, shuckhead, you left me to die. And here I am."

"Shut up, you two," the man from the other end of the room whispered. "they could come in any minute."