Chapter XIX

It's been a couple of days since everything went down with Monica. If he was crazy about her before, now he definitely couldn't get her out of his mind. But much to his dismay, instead of bringing them closer like he had hoped, it ended up pushing her away even more. She would be distant, not respond to his texts as fast, didn't want to hang out, and did everything in her power to avoid him. He didn't know if it was because she was embarrassed from the encounter with his father, or if she genuinely regrets what went down with him. Either way, he wasn't about to let her slip through his fingers now that he knows she definitely feels the same way towards him.

He wondered if his dad didn't interrupt, would they have went further? It seemed as if she had a freaky side to her. It reminded him of that time the boy in the shop said the quiet girls are always the freaky ones. Now he knows what he meant. He was even shocked to see that she recognized who his father was.

"Dad?"

Chris's dad stood awkwardly by the door, holding a few of his items in his hands.

"Sorry son, to interrupt." He chuckled a little. "I tried knocking, but I see why you didn't answer it.." His gaze shifts over to Monica with a smile.

"Um," Monica clears her throat. "Hi, I'm Monica."

"Hi Monica. I'm-"

"Jeremiah Kent. I know who you are, sir. I'm a big fan of your work. I've been to one of your events back in Boston about police brutality. May I just say it is honestly an honor to meet you... well not this way.. but uh yeah."

He chuckled. "No, it's my fault for interrupting. But I'm honored to know that you are a supporter. I appreciate it."

"Yeah.. no problem. But um, I'm gonna go. It was nice meeting you sir."

"Wait, Mon-" Chris spoke up.

"Bye Chris." She quickly said, grabbing her stuff and leaving out quickly.

Chris sucked his teeth and sat back in the stool and stared at his dad with an uninterested face expression.

"Wow son. I'm happy to see you too. Yeah the trip was great, thanks for asking. And yes, I would love some water." His father joked.

"Haven't seen you in over a year and now you decide to pop up... in the worst moment possible."

"Well my apologies for interrupting your little playdate or whatever that was."

Chris sucked his teeth. "Man whatever. What are you doing here anyway?"

"Thought you'd be happy to see your pops."

"I mean I am, but it's so unexpected."

"Well I wanted to surprise you. I'm gonna be back in New York City for awhile and then I'm going back to Chicago."

"Well, welcome home.. I guess."

Chris's father laughed at his lack of enthusiasm. He walked over to his refrigerator and opened it to grab a bottle of water.

"The hell? Do you even eat? All I see is drinks in here."

"I eat out."

"Hmm. I can tell." He looked at the empty takeout boxes in the corner.

"So you tryna stay here or something?"

"Not for long. I plan on going back down to Manhattan tomorrow morning, but I wanted to crash here for now, if that's okay with you."