Sex, Drugs and Vampires. Chapter 12.

Caleb explained in great detail what had happened at HemoSoul, occasionally Cain would add things he had forgotten. Bruxsa paused for what seemed like eternity. Like water rising from her toes to the top of her head, I watched as slowly the anger built up. She began shouting in a language I did not understand. Not that any of it mattered, at that moment I was fixated on Rose, she had made a miraculous recovery. Her skin was not the frail tissue paper it once was and her body had life running through it.

I hadn't realised how beautiful she actually was, the first time I had seen her I had been so high I couldn't process everything. But now as she stood there I could really see her. She had a radiance about her, but I was wondering whose blood paid the price.

I was broken away abruptly from my thoughts, Caleb had started yelling at Bruxsa in what sounded like the same language. I looked over to see Bruxsa glaring at Caleb, she had her hand up with a menacing look in her eyes.

"Bruxsa, we need to terminate the situation before it gets out. If it becomes common knowledge, we will be under serious threat." Caleb's voice softened. He had to watch himself now, there was too much at stake for him. One wrong move and Bruxsa would not tell him where his sister was. I thought about what he said, what would happen? What would be putting everyone under threat? These were questions I was hoping Rose would be willing to answer. Although I wasn't getting my hopes up, I would probably left clueless again.

The decision had been made that we would all go back to HemoSoul. Except for Bruxsa of course, who stayed at home as usual. But I suppose that's what it is like here, the older you are the less you had to do. It was old school, you had to work your way up. I remember hearing a story about how this guy had gone into a company in the 70's as an intern and 2 years later he had taken over the company.

You would never hear that now, you could probably work your way up for a while until you get stopped for qualifications. Qualifications are everything now, it doesn't matter if you can do the job better than anyone else. If you don't have the bullshit piece of paper saying that you have been on whatever course, your skill counts for absolutely nothing. This was one of the reasons I have never had a job, I wanted to do something more stimulating than working in Tesco. But nowhere wanted to take me on, it was "too risky" they said. It was lucky the finding a job plan only lasted a week before I fell back to my old ways. My confidence would have been crushed to a pulp otherwise.

That was how it always was, I was too risky, In every aspect of my life. People wouldn't come up and talk to me, it was "too risky". My friends wouldn't lend me money, it was "took risky". Its hard to dig yourself out of a hole when nobody will take a chance on you.

We walked in the back door of HemoSoul, I hadn't been in this way yet, I was intrigued to find out what was coming next.

"I can give you a tour if you like?" Rose said as we entered a large stock room from the back door. I nodded immediately, this is what I had wanted from the beginning. I could finally find out what was behind each of the doors that said "HemoHunger" and "HemoStrip".

Rose agilely pushed me up against the wall, she smiled at me. Everyone else had walked on, we were alone. I immediately knew what she was doing. She was testing me, to see if I would recoil terrified. I didn't, I just stood there holding my own.

If she had asked me if I was afraid of her, I would have had to think about it for a moment. I felt on edge around the "new" her but I suppose that was to be expected under the circumstances in which we had met. But on the other hand I felt like I knew her, she was my vampire mother. I did feel I could trust her, but I didn't know why. Years being on the streets had done something to my danger scale. I now didn't feel afraid of a woman who had once killed me.