05: Eye Talk

Eryl Jasmine Valencia

This is the day. This is the hour. Tapos na kami magreet kay Ma'am Del Prado.

“So, kanino tayo natapos kahapon?” tanong niya. I can't wish na she will never be reminded who is the next student.

Aila raised her hand.
“Si Eryl na po ma'am.”

The thought that she ended her sentence. It was the beginning of facing my fear.

I am shaking while holding my work. I am shaking that I could feel my lips trembling even though I didn't say something yet.

“Show us your work Valencia.” Ms. Del prado stated. Mas kalamado siya ngayon kesa kahapon. Sa palagay ko.

I stand. I begin it with a stand. Trembling in fear that I could crumble in a minute.

I am walking. I second it with a walk. I am forcing myself not to turn back to my seat. And I succeed.

Wishing my decision is right.

Pinakita ko ang gawa ko sa kanila at nakita ko si Irene na nakalabas ang Cellphone at mukhang bini-videohan ako.

“W-what do y-you see?” Panimula ko. Trying myself not to stutter.

“Eyes, A lot of it is already seen on my work. Artificial, Real, Eyes full of Parasites, Human eating eyes. Aren't they familiar already?” I spoke. Everyone is looking like me.

“ Eyes are the s-symbol of our heart. Our heart's window they say. Cause eyes don't lie. But some eyes are not real, some eyes are affected to the virus of faking and some eyes are eaten cause the human itself doesn't like the thing that it was seen.” I continue. They all look the same. Even my teacher just sat and listening to me. Should I be proud?

“Are you a eye eater? If you are going to be I won't stop you. Cause its like living dead on this world without your sight of reality. Thats why some of the crazy people tend to imagine their own world. Cause they ate their eyes like a fresh steak that will always feel so sweet.” my gaze is now rolling on  Irene.

She mouthed the words “Go Eryl.” with her fist are signing for a good fight.

“What do you see? Not all the things are good or bad. They are just fair. If you are seeing bad things don't just watch it. Do something to make it stop. Making something to stop is the beginning on a new fresh on the eyes society. The title “What do you see?” is just a start. Don't end it with just what you saw. Always act. ” That is my final blow on this recitation. Nagmadali akong bumalik sa upuan ko.

I can hear their clap. A clap of... Joy?

“You talked! You talked!” Royce was so happy. Mukha pa siyang mas masaya kesa sa akin.

“Nosebleed ako dun pars! Ano.nakain mo?” biro ni Dino sa akin.

“LODI NA KITA! PETMALU!” sabi pa ni Crayle ang basketball player namin.

“Paselfie naman po!” Zian teased me with a wink. I just reply them with a smile.

“Wow Eryl, You casted a spell on us to listen to you. Very well. Lets end it to our transferee. Irene Michael. Can you go in front so we can see your work?”

“My work is just a colorful background and a circle.” Panimula niya.

“As you can see, I am bald. I have no longer a hair that our  girl classmates could braid.” She said while smiling. Why is she telling her story? Kailangan niya sigurong i-share ang kagandahan ng pagiging kalbo.

“I can't tell you why. I am just here to explain that I am happy to be bald. I am happy to live just like this. Inside of this room yesterday is wonderful. I can't tell what my reason are. I can't but to the chosen one. I am willing to gamble anything for that person... I just hope that person is willing to cooperate.” she made a glance for me or am I just imagining?

Umupo na siya and Ms. Del Prado gave her a compliment.

- - - - - - - - - -

The lunch was easy to crawl. Aila walked to my direction and gave me a brown paper bag.

“Its your reward for being brave. Keep it everyday we know what you've gone through this past few months it is hard to move on we know.” Aila's words were as soft as a feather it lights up everybody like magic. It illuminates the problems and make them disappear. I wish every classroom have Aila.

“But you know that is indeed impossible.” Irene stated While looking at my back. Very opposite.

“It is impossible? Why?” Aila is clueless for what Irene have stated and Irene faced Aila and she has a bluetooth device on her ears

“Oh. I thought you said that it was impossible for Eryl to talk.” Aila explained herself. Ngumiti lang si Irene at umiling.

“I gotta go. May meeting pa ang Student Council eh. You know when duty calls.” Aila made a farewell.

“I heard you. I mean on mind.” Irene stated while looking at me.

So she really didn't use a bluetooth thing she just made an excuse to oppose my hope.

“It is really impossible to make like Aila to every classroom. She's just-- oh my goodness. Hindi ka rin naman makikinig sa akin so why bother to make something you will be shock! I will just crumble your dream leader if I state.” Kailan kaya siya hindi magiging madaldal?

“Kailan ka kaya magsasalita ng tama at hindi ko kailangan gamitan ka pa ng ability ko?” pagsusungit niya.

Seryoso ba 'to? Ang sungit niya meron kaya siya ngayon? A girl thing that every girl is mad about having it cause it was like a temporary death?

“Ewa--” natigil si Irene at tumingin sa likod ko. Bilang curious ako sa sarili ko kung sino ang nasa likod ko.

It is him. The boy I hated. The boy who used me to play for fun.

“Hey. Its been a while... Can we talk?” I look up to him and stand.

I can feel the heat in our side. The crowd

“Hoy! Bakit mo pinapasok si J?” Dino shouted at Parker.

“He insisted.” Parker calmly answered Dino.

“Can we talk?” tanong ni J.

“Mamaya sa parking lot after class. Go.” pagkatapos kong sabihin iyon sa taong higit na pinagkatiwalaan ko napabigla ako ng upo.

“Sino si J, Royce?” I heard Irene's voice