Chapter Four: What's the Use?

**Blue Diamond's P.O.V.**

I was still thinking of Pink when my agate opened the door, following my pearl. I tilted my head to the side. "My diamond," Holly Blue Agate purred. "I have brought you a message from one of the Amethysts, regarding Pink Diamond." "Speak of my little (y/n)." I said. "The Amethyst informed me that the diamond (y/n) requires some of the trees in the containment area to be grown on homeworld so that she may eat. She also requires water." "Yes, that makes sense seeing as she is still reliant upon the systems within her human body." I mused. "How long can she last without these things?" "3 earth days without water. 3 earth weeks or 21 earth days without food." The Agate replied. "That is what the Amethyst reported."
My eyes widened. "Earth days don't last that long. This is quite an urgent matter, isn't it?" I said. "It is." The Agate nodded, before clearing her throat. "If I may offer my advice, My Diamond?" "Procede." "Seeing as we have the trees and the water needed for (y/n) to survive, I suggest we have her remain here temporarily until a Lapis Lazuli can terraform the needed environment for her on Homeworld." The Agate suggested. I hummed in thought. "It would be safest for her. Perhaps I should invest in a Lapis Lazuli to answer specifically to her." After a minute of contemplation, I nodded. "Yes." Rising from my knees on the massive cushions, I said to my pearl, "Come, we must go at once to arrange for (y/n)'s arrival." "Yes, my Diamond." "Oh, and Agate?" I said. "Yes, my Diamond?" She bowed low to the floor. "I'd like to keep this as a surprise for (y/n). Don't let her know that I'm gone. I'll indefinitely be back to retrieve her and bring her home." I said. "Of course, my Diamond." The Agate said.

**(y/n)'s P.O.V. About an hour later**

I took my time getting to nowhere in particular. It was easier to just wander the hallways, admiring all the details. There was nobody around, so I continued to wander, until I found a door. A pair of Amethysts guarded it. Outside was the launching area. Strangely enough, Blue Diamond's palanquin was not there anymore. Oh well, it was probably move elsewhere, being so big and all, so that it would interrupt traffic flow. Speaking of Traffic flow, a tiny red ship had just pulled into the landing pad. On board I could see four... no five figures. As they all shuffled do out, I saw that one of them was human. My breath hitched. They'd take one look at me and be disgusted!
The amethysts heard me. They looked at me with confusion. "That's a human from earth." I whispered. "All earthly humans think I'm a freak. Please don't let them find me." They nodded. I quickly hid behind the door. "State your purpose." One of the Amethysts said. "I'm here to make a delivery to the human zoo." "Bad news. The human zoo shut down, which means we'll have to throw you into space." She sneered. The human whimpered. "Heh, look. He believed me!" The two guards laughed in unison. As all this transpired, Holly Blue Agate came by that way and saw me hiding there. She looked at me and I pleaded quietly. "Please don't let people know I exist. Not yet..." Her eyes widened and she nodded, before looking out the door. Seeing the human there, she motioned for me to run. Then, she quickly walked out to see if she could stall long enough for me to make an escape to somewhere else in the facility.
Meanwhile, I slipped away through the corridors, looking for the door to the zoo. True, the human was probably there to be dropped off in the containment area, but if there was any place on this base to hide, it was among those huge trees, and I was thirsty. After pulling out my passkey, I quickly slipped inside the door. It was still night time from after I left. Good. Part of me didn't feel like interacting with any humans right now. I sat down by the door so that I could assess where to go in this giant forest. As I was putting together a mental image of the layout, I heard Holly Blue Agate's voice coming up on the other side of the door. "So, how do you get in the zoo?" A new voice asked. "Excellent question, your Grand Clarity!" Holly Blue Agate exclaimed. "On the rare occasion that we would need to enter the containment area, we would do so via this service door."
Then a new voice was heard. It was a voice of male teenager, quiet and hushed. "The girl. That's gotta be where they're keeping her. We just need to come up with a distraction." I gulped. "Oh no..." I whimpered under my breath. "They're looking for me..." "As a highly secured access-point, there are no risks of escape. In fact, it's only been used once for a human-" "Explosion!" Another female voice suddenly burst, interrupting Holly Blue. "Pardon me!?" She growled. "Uhh, I just remembered that I left the gravity engine idling. Sorry, my Sapphire. I'm so forgetful and disposable." "What?" The first female voice said. "... A-a-a foreseen turn of events. Yes. It is going to overheat and explode. The damage will be massive." "My word! I don't know why anyone trusts Rubies with those ships! This is what happens." Holly Blue Agate said. "If we hurry we can disable the engine before any damage is done. It should only take five minutes, so everyone, be on your best behavior." "This way your Clarity, although I'm sure you don't need my guidance." Above my head, the skylight turned from a moon to the sun.
"Ugh, I can't believe all that stuff about Blue Diamond being merciful! She's a shatterer! She yelled at Sapphire! She hates fusion a-and love!" Wait, what? I thought. But, Blue Diamond is like the mother I never had... How could she hate love? She clearly loves me. She loves me like she loves my mother. If not like a sister, than a daughter or niece... Right? Suddenly I heard a bunch of banging on the door. It startled me and I ran into the trees.

**Blue Diamond's P.O.V. About half an hour earlier**

"Pearl, contact my head Lapis Lazuli." I said from my throne aboard my ship. "Yes, my Diamond." She said, before pulling up a video message panel. "This is Lapis Lazuli Fawcett-3G6Z Cut-3YH, reporting to the Diamond call." The gem said. "Put Lapis Lazuli Fawcett-1A9O Cut-1BD on the line." Pearl said. "Of course, Blue Pearl." The Lapis Lazuli said, making the respectful diamond formation and then altering the line of the panel. Another Lapis Lazuli with a more decorative uniform appeared on the screen. Her gem was on her chest, shaped like all water based gems are. She is my head Lapis Lazuli. "This is Lapis Lazuli Fawcett-1A9O Cut-1BD, reporting to the Diamond call." She said. "Yes, this is Blue Pearl calling you on behalf of Blue Diamond regarding special arrangements that must be made as soon as possible." "Give it here, Pearl. I will discuss this." I said, taking the panel from her.
"My Diamond." The Lapis crossed her forearms. "My, radiant, flawless, glimmering, luminous Diamond." "Lapis Lazuli, I'm calling with regards for a very special entity. Upon my last trip to earth, I discovered a very special being. Half diamond, half organic life." I said, smiling fondly at the image of little (y/n). "She'd been existing on the earth as an outcast for thousands of years, spending the majority of that existence within the confines of a bubble. I've brought her to the human zoo to live until I can make an environment on homeworld that is suitable for her needs." "Organic life existing on homeworld?" The Lapis questioned. "Yes. Have you encountered a problem, Lapis Lazuli?" "No... It's just that... well, it seems like you are quite attached to this entity, my Diamond. And, you say that the entity is organic in its lifespan. What will happen when she dies?" "When she dies..." I frowned, my eyes going dark. "She has survived for far longer than any normal human. Who is to say that she will die?"
"I'm... just making a cautious prediction, my Diamond. I know how hurt you were when... well... it happened. I don't want for you to be forced to suffer through that pain again." My dark expression suddenly went soft. "Oh... you may be right. For her existence to continue on infinitely is not guaranteed like it was supposed to be with Pink." The Lapis bowed her head, acknowledging my melancholy. "But, that means that I must spend as much time with my little Diamond as possible." I declared. "I will not miss out on these precious moments I could have with her because I fear one day I may lose her." "My Diamo-" "I wish for my little (y/n) to have a Lapis Lazuli personally assigned to her, once she reaches Homeworld. Select one Lapis Lazuli from your ranks and have her terraform an environment similar to the human containment area found in the zoo. My pearl will send you the plans. Use those plans as a guideline. And I expect good work, so make sure you choose one that is especially competent." I instructed her. "Yes, my Diamond." The Lapis Lazuli said. "Pearl, if you would." "Of course, my Diamond." She said, before sliding a file icon across her screen to the video call icon. The file was absorbed by the video call.
Once the plans were sent and I and visual evidence that they were in the possession of the Lapis Lazuli, Pearl cut the line. "Turquoise!" I called. "Yes, my Diamond?" She came running. "We're going back to the zoo. Once there, I want you to find (y/n) and bring her to me. I'll be in the room of fallen quartz soldiers. Understood?" "Of course, my Diamond." She said, bowing and exiting with her rear end to the door. "Pearl, you're dismissed. Go do something that Pearls do with their free time. Come back once we've reached the zoo." "Yes, my Diamond." She said before leaving me alone. I thought about what the Lapis Lazuli had said. "(y/n)'s lifespan was not guaranteed to last forever. What would I do when she died? Would her gem be left behind? Would I be able to preserve her in a bubble again?" I asked myself, before covering my eyes with my hand. "I don't understand how human hybrids work." Memories of when I had first learned of Pink's shattering flooded my mind. "Oh, Pink..." I wept. "What will happen should your daughter die? What will I do then?"