Zayn-

There’s about twenty of those in the park. You’re not much help :)

Don’t worry, I’ll come find you.

            Now I wished he hadn’t. Perhaps I would not be in this state if I had been abandoned. Perhaps it would spare me this torture, this pain, this self-doubt. I closed my eyes and those previous hours flashed before me. I was there again, to relive the nightmare.

            I sighed, and took a seat on the bench, admiring the view. Soon, I had been tapping my feet impatiently, bored and lonely. Then, an old man had come, his wrinkled face and piercing, tiny dark eyes intimidating me.

‘Would you like to feed the ducks?’ he said kindly.

I looked him over, and noticed the paper bag with bread. I hesitated then nodded. Who knew how long Zayn would be?

‘Sure,’ I smiled; standing up and holding out my hands, ready to grab it.

But the man gave me a strange look and quickly added.

‘That will be three dollars.’

I mentally slapped myself. Of course. I felt so idiotic, reaching out for the bread. I quickly pulled out my purse and dropped some coins into his palm. He left without another word. I slowly walked to the edge of the water and tore open the bag. I threw some crumbs at the ducks, and the surface rippled as they hit. Soon a mob of them were crowding close, each begging for some more white loaf. I chuckled as they fought for it, and my mind slowly drifted. I spotted a couple not far, walking on the bridge. They were both young, and it seemed incredibly happy and carefree. He had his arm slung around her, bringing her close. She was talking, her hands animated, with a huge grin. It wasn’t long before their lips crashed against each other. I looked away, and my heart sank just a bit. Was I ever going to have that? There was no one right now. Not even a friend that had potential. No one worth believing in.

Suddenly someone screamed into my ear and my muscles contracted as an impulse. I screamed out, fear shaking me. And for a moment there I was really, really scared. I had turned and tried to jump back, but my toes met the edge. I tried to reverse, but tripped. I gasped, as I got closer to the water’s surface, unable to control or avert the fall.

That’s when a strong hand took a hold of my arm and my body. I regained my balance, and my heart started beating once more. I got back on my feet, and exhaled loudly, relieved beyond measure.

‘Careful,’ said a familiar voice.

            I smiled before I saw him. Somehow his presence just had this strange effect on me. I turned around to face him. He looked charming, with his blue checkered shirt. He gave me an apologetic nod.

‘You found me,’ I said.

‘Yeah,’ he ran his hand through his hair, ‘lucky you weren’t too far.’

‘How did you recognise me?’ I said suspiciously. After all there was quite a mass of people.

‘I don’t know, I just know how your hair looks I guess?’ he mumbled, and I thought I could see a faint blush in his cheeks.

‘That was really close,’ I glanced back at the lake over my shoulder.

‘Where would you be without me?’ he grinned.

‘Probably soaking and humiliated,’ I replied.

I paused for a second.

‘Wait, no!’ I exclaimed, realising, ‘This is your fault!’