Chapter 5

Hey guys here's the next chapter, I sort of rushed through it, I was just eager to get back into it...      

I would love it if you gave me some feedback and please vote/comment!

Thanks xx

alicelala

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stepped into our hotel room, with the idea that my day could never get any better, fixed into my brain. A smile was nailed to my face, my mood enlightened. Yet my theory was proved wrong the minute I stepped in. I heard a squeal, and before my eyes found the source I was engulfed by the biggest hug of the universe. I stumbled back, an expression of pure shock on my face. I tried to identify the person wrapped around me. Her hair was dark and wavy, and she smelt of peaches.         

            Finally she let go, and I burst into laughter, shutting my eyes in disbelief as I recognised my cousin.

‘What is it?’ I heard her sweet voice soar to my ears.

‘I just…’ I regained control of my voice, taking in a deep breath, ‘can’t believe it’s you.’

‘Well who else was it going to be you silly goose,’ she exclaimed.

‘I can see you’ve never stopped maturing, hey?’ I teased.

She rolled her eyes at me.

            I had a big family, including several cousins, all round about my age. They meant the world to me, and I went to visit them every summer in our holiday house in France. I cannot begin to explain the bond I hold with that place. It was the source of my richest memories, the source of laughter and tears. Moments that I would never forget. All year I waited to go back there, to the place where I belonged. I can just close my eyes and be transported there, in the midst of rolling hills covered in long healthy grass and fruit trees, touched by rays of sunshine, surrounded by the sound of bees and bird melodies.

            I snapped back to reality, knowing if I thought about it too much my heart would start to ache with longing. It was all I could do but restrain myself from crying at my cousin’s presence. Especially her. Especially Tayla. We could spend hours having deep and meaningful conversations, whispering at night, bundled up under layers of blankets. We could tell each other anything.

‘Are you okay?’ she smiled. I thought I could see her eyes shining with tears. I had missed her so much.

‘Yeah,’ I assured her, ‘just… still in shock.’

‘Marie!’ I heard another shout.

            I looked up and saw my aunt. I grinned and ran up to embrace her. I should have expected my two other cousins Patrick and Thomas to appear from behind a closed door. I ran up to hug them too. I was so ecstatic, I felt ready to collapse.

‘This is quite a reunion,’ I admitted, ‘what’s going on?’

‘Well,’ began my aunt, ‘I’m sure you must know, Sophie got accepted into City University, here in London…’

‘Yes,’ I said, ‘that is so great!’

            Sophie was my eldest cousin, nineteen this year. I was so pleased to hear she was going so well.

‘So we came here to have a look at the place before she starts in January, and we decided now would be the best time,’ she explained.

‘I think that was an amazing idea on your part,’ I winked.