Chapter 1

Nico was laying on his bed, propped up with a hundred pillows, drawing his latest imaginary love. This boy was a brunet, with dark eyes that mirrored Nico's own. He was wearing a blue jacket and jeans, glasses in his hands.

"Nico?" Hazel knocked on the door. "Can I come in?"

He looked at the picture for a minute before looking up. "Why?"

"Because." her voice turned pleading. "I have a question for you."

"Fine."

She came in, closing the door behind her. Her curly hair was up in a ponytail, the escaping strands sticking to the makeup on her face. She wore a red strapless leotard, her bare feet scuffing against his carpet. He could tell she was nervous but didn't comment. He knew she'd do amazing.

"Nico..." she sat by him on the bed. "Please come? Will and I are favored to win and we'd get medals."

"Will?"

"My partner. Please?" Hazel begged, grabbing onto his leg. Of course, he didn't feel a thing, but he saw her actions.

Nico sighed, reaching to sit up more. She immediately pulled him into a better position, sitting him against the wall. "So will you?"

"Hazel...I'm going to embarrass you..." Nico mumbled.

She frowned. "Why?"

He gestured to his legs and then his wheelchair. "Where will I be? Isn't there like rows of chairs?"

"You can be backstage, with me," Hazel answered. "I've already thought this through. And you won't embarrass me."

He looked down, frowning sadly. "Fine. I'll go. But on one condition."

"And what's that?"

"You need to help me get a boyfriend." Nico brushed his hair with his fingers, not uncomfortable with the topic. He had come out years ago, and his family had been fine with it. Whatever made him happy, made them happy. And Nico knew wasting his life away in his room would never get him a real love.

She sighed but smiled. "Okay, I'll try. Let's get you dressed."

"Do you even know anyone that's gay?" Nico asked, pointing to the outfit he wanted to wear. She grabbed it and went to him, helping him change.

"Yeah, I do," she replied, leaving him to change his shirt.

"Prove it." he muffled as he put the shirt on, doing the tie.

"My partner. Will." Hazel winked at him. "Fully gay. I know, after working with him for so many years."

Nico blushed lightly. "H-How old is he?"

"Your age." Hazel put his shoes on. "And he's single."

"Then what are we waiting for? Let's go."

Hazel smiled, laughing softly. "So eager."

~~LIne Break~~~

When they got to the theater, Nico kept his hands in his lap and his eyes downward. He could feel the eyes on him, curiosity boring into his pores. They wanted to know why he was in a wheelchair. Had he broken a leg? (once upon a time). Had he just been too lazy to walk? (no). Had he been paralyzed? (yes).

His father pushed his chair, while his sister walked ahead and talked to those around her. She spoke with other dancers and onlookers, just getting along with everyone in sight. When they saw him, however, they made a hasty excuse and walked off.

Nico wanted to go home more than anything.

"Stop acting so awkward," Hazel whispered to him as they got backstage. "You act like everyone is going to offend you so everyone's scared to talk to you."