Chapter 15

Nico went back to camp when it was time to take his stitches out, not a moment earlier. Maybe, MAYBE Will was likable, but the others kept him away. And that fact, that small fact that Anubis was turning him into the thing he most feared he'd become.

A monster.

Even if Will liked him, even as just a friend, Nico didn't know how long that would last. He had seen Will's reaction to his powers. He had seen the fear. A good relationship couldn't be based on that, nor would Nico ever want one based on that. It was sickening.

The only hope Nico did have, however, was that Will had come to his cabin that day, even after seeing his powers. He hadn't seemed scared anymore or uncomfortable. The only thing he cared about was making sure Nico was okay. But was that just the medic inside him?

Nico dissolved into his cabin from pure shadow, not expecting anyone to be there as he didn't hide any of his powers. While forming back, his bones were first. A living skeleton stood for a minute before he was back to his real form. Or, his human form. He wasn't sure what was his real form anymore. He didn't expect to hear a gasp come from beside him, and he really didn't expect to hear a child shout "awesome!"

"Who the Hades-?" Nico turned to see Will sitting on one of the beds, his blond hair lighting up the dark room around him. Beside him, a small kid was sitting that could be no older than six. With brown hair and blue eyes, he didn't look like any of the dangerous gods' kid.

"Will, what are you doing in here?" Nico asked after a moment of silence. "And who's the kid? New camper?"

Will nodded before patting the medical bag beside him. "Time to take your stitches out. I assumed you didn't want to go to the infirmary, so I came here. That's okay, right?"

Nico gave a short nod, setting his duffel bag down. "Why bring the kid?"

Will took a second before speaking, his blue eyes turning sad. "Can I talk to you later about that?"

Not in front of the kid, I'm guessing. Anubis' not so appreciated voice filled Nico's throbbing head. I would listen. That kid looks like he's been through a lot.

Nico frowned in confusion, his curiosity riding over his anger at Anubis. What do you mean by that? He looks fine to me.

He's sitting when any other kid would be bouncing off the walls. Anubis explained. His feet aren't tapping, his hands aren't wiggling. If he's an ADHD child, then he's really learned to tame it, which I doubt is the reason.

He looks too poor to have had medicine for it. Nico caught on. So he's either entirely exhausted or maybe he's not a demigod at all. But he did see through the Mist.

Some mortals can. Anubis agreed.

"Nico?" Will went over to him and shook his shoulder. "You okay there? You zoned out a little."

"I get that a lot," Nico muttered, stalking to the bed. "Let's get this over with. Kid, what's your name?"

"Will said it's Almaji." the boy in question moved closer to Nico. "A group of people decided it at breakfast. Have you ever been to it? There's so much food and you sit with all these people and laugh and laugh and laugh."

Definitely poor, Nico noted to Anubis before directing his words to Will. "You named him? Did you want to feel like a god or something?"

Will's cheeks turned red as he dropped the alcohol wipes to the floor. "I-I, I did not. The Hermes cabin did it. I simply had to keep reminding him of how to pronounce it. I think they made it up, honestly. Almaji. Sounds like that one movie coming out, doesn't it?"

Almaji nodded in agreement. "Yep,"

"You lost me at the Hermes cabin," Nico admitted, trying not to overthink his words. Everything was coming so...so easy. If Nico didn't know any better, he'd say it sounded like he was used to speaking to others as...as friends.

Will does seem to be happy in your company. Anubis added.

Nico scowled. Get outta my head.

"I found him on the streets in the city when I went to get more supplies with Travis and Conner. We didn't have money so I told them what I needed and they...got it for me. No biggie." Will explained, picking up everything that he had dropped. "Almaji remembers everything but he just was never given a name. He's been alone up until now."

"In the cold with no food. I like it here." Almaji took the blankets off Nico's bed and wrapped them around his small frame. "I really like it here, with Will."

"So you took him back with you." Nico nodded in acceptance. "That's pretty cool of you. But why 'Almaji'?"

"Ask the Stolls." Will replied helplessly, letting out a small laugh. "Al seems to like it, so it's okay."

"I'll stick with calling him Al." Nico decided. "Almaji sounds like a disease. Ugh. I hate plagues."

"It's a name, not a plague." Almaji corrected. "What's a plague, anyway?"

Nico took his shirt off when Will asked to let him work on his shoulders before looking to Al. "It's a really bad disease that spreads quickly. They aren't really common anymore. But when I was a kid, there was a really bad one where I lived."

"Is that why you hate them?" Almaji asked, his eyes wide in wonder. "Where did you live? Was it in New York?"

Nico cracked a small smile, finding it hopeful that he didn't hate kids. Maybe he was still a good guy, after all. "No, I only live in New York when it comes to camp. I actually lived in Italy at the time."

He heard Will take in a sharp breath, which Nico replaced with the blond having figured out what he meant. Italy, the eradication of Malaria that took 62 years. It wasn't the plague, but it did kill.

"Italy?! That's so far away!" Almaji looked Nico over as if he had said he came from Mars. "Is that why you came here, everyone was sick?"

Nico gave him a sad smile, reluctant to tell the truth. "Yeah, sure, Al."

Will went back to work on Nico's biceps but kept looking up to glance the two over. He'd smile every now and again as if he had planned for the two of them to click. This was the Nico he liked, not the Nico that had too many powers and too little control.

"So, Al, where do you sleep? In Will's cabin or the Hermes cabin?" Nico asked.

Almaji shrugged. "I dunno. Both. I like sleeping outside, though."

"He's used to it. But we make sure he's out of harm's way and covered with blankets." Will added in. "And he's not strong in knowledge of the gods yet, you know. He doesn't know all their names."

"But he believes?" Nico asked. "And Chiron let you tell him?"

"He can see through the Mist." Will shrugged. "I don't know. Chiron thinks all of this was meant to be, or whatever."

You do believe in the Fates, but not everything they've done has come true. Anubis appeared again to ruin Nico's mood. I've messed up quite a few of their plans. So we don't know exactly what was meant to be, anymore.

I hate you, Nico's smile dropped as his eyes swept over Almaji again. I really hate you and your thoughts, Anubis.

I can't help that I'm right.