Chapter 37: Graduation

Start from the beginning

We sit in alphabetical order by last name.  The ceremony is typically very short, there are only thirty-one kids graduating.  Luckily I will be the third person to cross the stage since my name begins with a B.

The two people to my left are called from their seats and I patiently await for them to call my name.  Hollers and cheers are shouted over the clapping for them.

"Gabrielle May Brooks, senior.  Attending Northern Iowa University with focus on literature." 

My face goes hot with anger as I stand from my seat, cursing my parents for filling out that portion of the announcement.  I have no desire to go to school anymore.  They know this and continue to tell everyone they know that I'm attending UNI in the fall.  At one time, yes I wanted to go.  I wanted to get away because I had messed up with Kane.  But I wanted to be somewhere where I could also feel a bit of home, I'd be with Felix.  Morgan and Cole had even applied.  I'm not sure if they were accepted or not.  I guess I'd hear it third-hand from someone eventually or maybe during this ceremony.  Not like they were going to tell me.  Anyways, I loved literature and I did find it fascinating that I could make a career out of it.  But everything is different now.  Felix is mad at me, my friends don't speak to me, then there was Court and Jax.  I loved both of them.  No way could I leave them behind. 

No. Damn. Way. 

So maybe lied when I told Jax it wasn't about him.  A little.  At first maybe it wasn't.  Now it was.

But more than being pissed about them just announcing to everyone that I was going to school, I'm pissed because there is now a eerie silence filling the gym as no one claps.  My entire walk to the stage has been completely silent.  People watch me with glares that are typically reserved for hallway glances.  My family takes notice of this and begins cheering from their section.  The sounds of Sydney, mom, dad and even Felix fill the void.  There is another voice in there too, a familiar one that finally makes my lips curl upwards.

"Hell yeah Books!" Is being shouted behind me as I take my diploma, shake the principal's hand and switch the tassel to the left of my cap.  Just knowing that Jax is somewhere in this room, rooting for me when everyone else wants me to fail, makes me feel a little better.  It definitely stopped the tears that were on the brink of erupting from my eyes. 

I take my seat again and watch the rest of the ceremony.  I can't help but notice how sickly Courtney looks as she makes her way across the stage.  She looks as if she hasn't eaten in weeks, there is no color to her skin and there are bags under her eyes.  She didn't show up for the last few days of classes.  I did speak to her briefly on the phone and she sounded just fine.  I assured Jax that she didn't bring up anything about my safety, people from town keeping secrets, or the three of us not being able to trust anyone.  We talked about Jax and I's relationship, about her trip to Illinois and about her graduation party that she seemed excited for.  But now, seeing her in person, I understand why Jax is so worried.  She doesn't look like herself anymore.

The ceremony wraps up after another hour or so and everyone makes their way outside to begin taking pictures with their family and friends.  I spot my family talking with Mickey, nodding their heads and laughing.  It was sad that these families really weren't friends until their daughters were assaulted.  As I make my way towards them I feel hands grip my hips from behind me, forcing me to stop walking.  Arms wrap around me tight and I feel the warmth radiating from him.  I don't even need to turn around to know who is holding me.