Chapter 36: The Other Broken Girl

Start from the beginning

I sigh and keep my eyes on the TV. "I had a date."

"Oh? Find another piece of ass for your little game? Going to break another girl's heart? Or just a quick hookup to wave in Gabby's face again?"

I hold up the remote and pause the movie, looking back to Courtney. Her facial expression has gone from a depressed girl to the bitter best friend of a girl scorned.

"My date was with Gabby."

Her jaw drops, allowing her mouth to hang open and display her partially eaten popcorn. I clamp my hand over her mouth. "Seriously, Court, you are grossing me the fuck out tonight."

"You went on a date with Gabby?! First off, how?! She's grounded! Second, since when are you dating anyone?!"

Another sigh exhales from my chest and I look to her again. "The night of the senior party." I give a slight shrug of my shoulders. "You were right, I'm in love with her. She's not just your best friend Court, she's mine too. It hurt being away from her. I didn't just break her heart, I broke my own. We've been dating since that night and we recently told Dan. Tonight he allowed us one date."

With this confession I thought Courtney would be happy for her best friend and brother, this is not the reaction I get.  Her hand grabs my arm firmly, digging her nails into my skin to the point where it's painful. I can feel the skin breaking.

"Fuck Court, that hurts let go..."

"Promise me you won't hurt her again." Her voice is angry. I've never heard her so pissed.

"I-"

"So many people that she trusted have hurt her. So promise me you won't do it again.  She needs someone she can trust."

"Christ I know! I won't!" I yank my arm from her grasp and rub it as her eyes go cold. 

"No, you don't know." She shakes her head.  "Be good to her Jax.  She's going to need you."

"What the hell are you talking about?  What is with you lately?"

"It's this fucking town," she mutters as her head shakes.  "It's full of secrets.  I know Gabby can't trust anyone.  But we can't either."

Her tears return as she begins to shake.  She hasn't been this bad since after her rape.  The anger, the crying, the mood swings. 

"What are you talking about? Who shouldn't we trust?  Court what is going on with you?  Maybe you should stop talking to Gabby and Lily about your assault, it's bringing up too much shit for you..."

"My rape is not the problem, Jimmy cannot hurt me again.  And I'm telling you, we can't trust anyone.  It's not safe here.  Gabby is not safe here..."

"I won't let Tyler hurt her again..."

"Tyler didn't hurt her.  Everyone else did."  Her eyes roll and she runs her fingers through her long blonde hair.

My chest begins rising and falling in fast, my blood boiling at her words.  Was she not there the day I carried Gabby into this house?  Was she not the one who rubbed her back and got her calmed down so that she would sleep?