30

Pangs of hunger ground at Davidar's insides. Mother, I don't know if I can control this urge to tear into their flesh.

Keep peaceful thoughts in your soul, and love in your heart for all beings. Trust in your internal you. Do these things and you'll be able to control your hunger. Besides, if you decide to attack, I'll stop you.

He forgot about the power of his mother's mind. The words calmed him. And the intoxicating lure of human blood—dissipated.

Tarisha grasped Davidar's shoulder. This group does not smell of fear as the ones behind them. I don't think they pose a threat to us.

One of the male humans had his hand out for a formal Nasferian greeting. He took the boy by the wrist and waited for him to do the same.

The kid's eyes questioned Davidar's intentions. After a moment, he sighed and finished the clasp. "My name's, Matt."

"Davidar." His English didn't sound like the boys.

"Hello," a slender blonde girl said. "You speak English?"

"Yes, dear, we do." Tarisha's accent sounded a bit more refined than his. Her voice came across in her usual motherly tone. Soft. Gentle. Pure.

"See ... I told you they weren't hostile. I'm Katelyn ... this is Eve." She pointed to a smaller, yet more robust human female.

Eve curtsied. "You have interesting accents. Where'd you guys come from? Is everyone okay? Your ship is a mess."

I think we should play along, Mother.

Agreed.

"We are British." Davidar looked around. "Our navigation went out. Where have we landed?"

Another male scurried out from the bushes. "You're in Southern Oregon."

"Brett! Put your gun on the ground!" Katelyn stepped between Davidar and Brett. "They're human. Best of all, they're British."

The perplexed kid lowered his weapon and placed it on the ground at Katelyn's feet.

A mental image of a globe came into Davidar's mind. It ripped in half and spread out before him like a hologram. On the left side of the United States, he located Oregon near the Pacific Ocean.

"Are you Astronauts?" Brett asked.

The map appeared again. He found Great Britain. In the same breath, the entire British Space Program's history was collected in his mind. This side effect from Moroo's external internet download surprised him.

"I've read about this," Brett said. He started walking toward the Zylo One. "Is that the newest version of the Skylon Spaceplane?"

In a blur, Tarisha cut the boy off from his path to the ship. 

Brett jumped back. "What the ..."

"You are correct," she said. "This is the new Skylon prototype. But don't venture too close as there are some leaks we are investigating."

"Is everyone, okay?" Katelyn stepped onto a rock and looked at Davidar's family members.

Tarisha sighed. "Unfortunately, we lost two in the accident."

Katelyn gasped, burst forward, and wrapped her arms around Tarisha. "I'm so, so, sorry. We already called 9-1-1."

Davidar knew emergency services would already have been dispatched. In the distance, he heard a faint sound.