6

Jason's charcoal 4x4 turned up the driveway. Its horn blared and Katelyn's heart leapt into her throat. The bleak reality she'd created with Brett and Jason would come to a head once they arrived at the cabin. And like all pimples, she'd have to pop it and hope it goes away. In other words, she needed to tell Nancy what her boyfriend had done. The dates with him didn't bother her. His constant hounding her after the dates had gotten out of hand. He'd even sent her a rose proclaiming his love and friended her on Facebook.

"C'mon, dumb ass. Let's go." She couldn't believe her lame brother had weaseled himself an invite to the camping trip. Instinct told her Matt wasn't trying to get into Eve's pants. Eventually, she'd dig the rabbit out of the hole, but for now, she needed to finish her makeup. She 'mmmwa'd' the mirror with her new Passionfruit lipstick.

Matt had a sleeping bag on the living room floor. One knee on top of the rolled cloth held it while he fought with a ball of twine.

The horn continued.

"I'm leaving." She started for the door.

"Wait. I'm almost finished." He chewed a piece of twine from the ball, wrapped it around the sleeping bag, tightened it, and finished with a neat bow. "That good?"

"Fine." Katelyn made sure Matt saw her roll her eyes. Her hot pink sleeping bag was tucked tightly into its bag. She'd also brought her favorite pillow and thick flannel pajamas. She didn't want to give those boys too much to fight over.

Jason's gigantic vehicle looked like one of those monster trucks her dad dragged her to see at the county fair. She'd been in the beast twice before when he had taken her on the dates. His dad gave it to him for his seventeenth birthday. Through tinted windows, she could see people in the cab and the extra cab. Several faces of teens popped up from the bed of the truck.

Nancy pounced from the front of the truck and bounced up to Katelyn. Tight cut-off jeans rode up her backside, not leaving much to the imagination. The shorts and white halter top, with an open long-sleeved blue and green flannel shirt, reminded Katelyn of when her mom had dressed up as Daisy Duke for Halloween and her dad had dressed up as her boyfriend, whatever that Sheriff's name was. But Nancy's boots, akin to what a mountain climber might wear, came to the bottom of her toned calves. Only Nancy could pull off this outfit and make it adorable with her dark red hair creeping out the sides of her head in two neat ponies.

Katelyn had pieced together an ensemble of faded Levi's and a white polo shirt with her favorite black-laced bra barely showing through. She hoped the attempt to enhance her bosom wouldn't come across as slutty.

"Cute bra," Nancy said.

Crap. Katelyn thought she'd hidden the bra better.

"I'll toss your shit in the back of the truck." Nancy took the bags from her. "Kitty, you can sit up front with me and Jason." Nancy grabbed the duffel bag from Katelyn's hands and tossed it to Brett.

Katelyn gasped.

Nancy raised her eyebrows.

Brett stood like an Adonis in the bed of the truck. His tight tank top accented the thickness of his chest. Veins in his arm bulged as he reached out and caught the duffel. "You sure you don't want to sit back here with us?" His smooth voice made her neck tingle.

"I think I'll sit in the back." Katelyn winked at Nancy, who met her with a happy middle finger.

"Get up here," Eve called out, her arm outstretched for Matt as he climbed into the back of the truck.

Brett leaped onto the dirt in front of Katelyn. "Can I give you a hand?"

"You can give me two." She smiled and hoped it didn't look cheesy.