24

"Yeeha!" Jimmy Boy pounded on the cab.

Katelyn couldn't fall back to sleep, she'd tried several times. With each hole in the tired road and the yahoo in the back making all kinds of racket, there was no way she'd get any rest. She sat up and stretched her legs. Her lower back ached from the awkward position. She pressed the palm of her hand against a kink in her neck.

Brett removed her hand and rubbed his thumb in small circles over the area. He located a knot and focused on it. "That better?"

"Yeah." She relaxed into his hand.

Matt and Eve had crashed. Katelyn thought it awkward, yet cute in its way. His cheek rested on her head. She had her right arm and hand tucked under his left arm. Her hand rested on Matt's upper thigh.

Katelyn leaned forward. "How much further?"

"About two hours," Jason answered. "Maybe a little more. These roads are torn up. When we get to the top of Huckleberry Ridge, we'll be able to see down the ravine."

"What if it's not there?"

"It'll be there." He moved the mirror until she could no longer see his eyes. They seemed to have shifted elsewhere.

"If you say so." She fell back into the waiting arms of her wrestler. She'd made her choice. Didn't she? One more glance. She looked up and Jason had fixed on her again.

Nancy sat forward, pulled the mirror down, and primped.

Whatever. Nancy loves Jason. They're good together. And me and Brett. We're REALLY good. Right? At some point, she'd convince herself they had come together for a reason. Maybe he wasn't her soulmate? Maybe he was? She could for sure say they had given it a try. In time, she might even love him.

Jimmy Boy tapped on the glass. She slid the window over and a rush of cold air blew through the cab.

"What the hell?" Nancy said from up front.

"Sorry, Nancy." She turned to Jimmy Boy. "Do you need something?"

Jimmy Boy stuffed his head through the window. "Take the next left."

Jason slowed the truck. "Why?"

"Because there's a loggin' road ahead."

"Yeah, but it doesn't go through to the mountain. At least it didn't last year."

"They did some more loggin' up there. It goes straight up to the ravine now. Huckleberry Mountain Ridge is just on the other side. Should shave off at least twenty minutes."

"You sure it's not washed out?"

"Nope. Me and Tucker went spotlightin' up the ridge a couple of days ago."

Katelyn had no idea who Tucker was. She hadn't heard of him. Unless ... "Is that, Tuck. The bus driver?"

"Yup," Jason said.

Nancy had to put in her two cents. "He's such a creeper. I heard Jenna Simpson dropped her books and he got caught looking up her skirt."

Jason laughed. "Fooled him. Thought he was gonna get a glance at her g-string."

"Yeah, he did," Brett said. "She wasn't wearing any." He held his hand up and Jason smacked it.

Boys.

"Next left, Jason." Jimmy Boy pointed.

Jason had to nearly stop the truck to turn onto the narrow dirt road.

Nancy punched Jason's arm. "Um ... the gates closed."

A bar of metal ran from one side of the road to the other, blocking a steep incline.