| IV: ❝Lost In The Light❞

Začať od začiatku

     "I know," says Evie, flipping her blue hair over her shoulder. "You can thank me later." She takes a seat at her desk, admiring her work. "Now, don't smudge my masterpiece. Wouldn't want to scare Ben away on your first date, now would we?"

     Kleo rolls her eyes. Yes, a date. It wasn't her first, but it would be her first official date with her fake boyfriend Ben. He had been pestering her (showing her his 'cursed' affection) for the past few days. Over the weekend he had shown up when she least wanted him to, which was all the time to be exact. She knows she must sell this act (by request of Mal) but she doesn't know how much longer she can keep this up.

     Yes, she does enjoy the attention. Yes, she does enjoy the gifts. And yes, she enjoys the special treatment. Like when they had breakfast together in an isolated picnic table outside not too far from campus, and when they had lunch at Tiana's Place (and then found out Kato's girlfriend, princess Naomi, was the daughter of the owner's, Tiana and Naveen.) But it wasn't like she truly liked Ben. It was only the curse dictating his heart and brain and emotions to do all those things for her. So, why does Kleo feel like she wants these gestures to be genuine? Like he really means them, and not because he is forced to do it.

     Kleo scowls at herself. Her thoughts are betraying her. And the longer she stays in Auradon, the more she starts to act like them, and think like them, and feel like them. Kleo doesn't want that! Not at all. They were too vulnerable and too fragile to even comprehend. Becoming like them would make her weak, and what lion wanted that? To be weak? Without courage? A lion without courage? Now that would be a sight to behold.

     Her thoughts were interrupted as a knock raps at the door. She recognized the sweet musk behind the door and bit her tongue at a cranky remark. She swings the door open, and Ben stands before her. He has two helmets for a motorbike tucked under his armpits and he's as handsome as ever. He wears white slacks held up by a black belt, black dress shoes, a royal blue dress shirt tucked into his pants, and his blue and gold varsity jacket.

     Kleo, with as little teeth as possible, gives him her friendliest smile. He takes in the sight of her and sees a completely different girl but still the same Kleo somehow. The blood rushes to his face and ears and neck as he says, "For the first time, I understand the difference between pretty and beautiful." Kleo rolls her eyes and shakes her head while taking his free arm. Evie comes and gives her thumbs up as the two walks down the hallway and then closes the door. Ben hands her a helmet and says, "I hope you like bikes."

     Holding onto Ben for dear life, as they rode through the beautiful forest life of Auradon. She thought the campus' grounds of the nicely kept green grass and perfectly trimmed hedges were astonishing, but it was nothing compared to what she was seeing. She assumed this is what the jungle looked like, well, if it wasn't as hectic and free of the jungle animals.

     Ben leads her to a gazebo where a picnic is laid out. And next to it was a shimmering lake. She shuddered at the sight of it. Cats and bodies of water didn't mix. Especially when the cat isn't willing to get in the water.

     Kleo tries her best to get in a comfortable position, but the dress was making it kind of hard. She eventually found a nice position to sit in (right after Ben laughed at her fidgeting and discomfort and she lightly punched his arm in fake annoyance).

     The two indulge themselves into topics Kleo thought she would never touch. There were a few times he would bring up one of his duties as the prince (also the incoming king) and she would make a nasty comment about it or suggest he resolve it by being brutish and unpredictable. He didn't like that but appreciated her thoughts.