Chapter 1

The headache had returned. Not the normal, occasional headaches. This felt like I was on the plane all over again, but ghosts didn't appear, and my vision didn't go dark. I grabbed my head and groaned while Lissa suddenly shot upright in the bed. Dimitri rushed over while Christian sat beside her on their comfortable looking bed.

"Lissa, what's wrong?" Dimitri and Christian asked simultaneously.

"I feel like I'm getting stabbed in the head. It hurts so much." Lisa said as she burst into tears.

I was about to speak when I was ripped from my thoughts. I felt burning. I heard two voices screaming, and it took a few seconds before I realized that one was my own, and the other's was Lissa's. I couldn't feel the soft, beige carpet beneath my feet or see the pastel green wallpaper with pink azalea running along the bottom anymore. I could only see white. I felt like I was floating. Lisa appeared, looking terrified and I quickly floated towards her. She reached out, and I touched her hand.

I was back in my own body. I felt absolutely exhausted. It took all of my strength to not collapse onto Lisa and Christian's bed and fall asleep. I could feel magic working its way through me, and there was a knock on the door. I don't know if someone answered it, or if he let himself in, but Adrian stepped into the room. He looked panicked.

"What happened? Is everything alright? I could feel the magic from down the hall." Adrian's words were rushed and frantic.

He ran to Lissa and Christian glared at him, but let Arian approach.

"I'm so tired." Lisa was holding her head now, and her words were a little slurred.

Adrian turned his head to me and he seemed to become even more terrified as he stared at me.

"What? You're as pale as Mason was the last time I saw him." I managed to smile a little despite my exhaustion.

"Your aura," His voice was no louder than a whisper and he paused, deciding not to respond to my Mason comment. "It's surrounded by darkness again."

My jaw dropped. I heard everyone else gasp. How was it possible? The bond was broken. Could it be possible to be rebonded? Was that even the right word? Did I ever really escape being shadow kissed?

"H-how?" I can't even recall the last time I stuttered. Throw a pack of Strigoi in front of me and I'll kill every last one of them without fear, but tell me that my aura is surrounded by darkness and I become the most terrified creature on Earth.

"I don't know. How are you feeling?" He franticness stayed in his voice but he still managed to speak a little gently.

"Like I'm about to pass out on the floor."

Adrian turned to Christian. "Get up."

"Why? So you can lay in bed with my girlfriend?" Christian seemed disgusted.

"No, you idiot. So Rose and Lissa can sleep while we try to figure out what the hell happened."

Christian got up and shot be an apologetic look. "Sorry, Rose. Come lie down."

I started to walk over to the bed and I tripped. Dimitri was by my side, holding me upright in a flash. He gave me a worried look, which was odd. He wanted to show me. If he chose to, he could be an emotionless statue.

Before I could protest, he scooped me up and carried me to the bed and lied me down. I tried hard to stay awake but I fell into blackness within two minutes.