Prologue

[PROLOGUE]

As Madeline walked down one of the many halls of Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital, she felt the world around her go fuzzy, but she kept walking until she couldn't any longer

As Madeline walked down one of the many halls of Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital, she felt the world around her go fuzzy, but she kept walking until she couldn't any longer. As she felt herself collapse, she grasped her stomach because she knew she was going down and wanted to protect her baby before everything around her went black. As she fell doctors from all around her ran over "Maddy can you hear me" Deluca said as he picked her up in his arms and began to run until he reached the ER "help" Deluca said as he walked in catching the eye of everyone in the room including Madeleines brother Owen who ran over "what happened" Owen said took his sister from Deluca's arms and took over to a bay before laying her down as gently as he could "i don't know she just collapsed right in front of me" Deluca said as Owen began to check her but as Owen began to feel around her stomach he stopped with a look on his face "Deluca page OB my sisters pregnant" Owen said with a worried look on his face "it's going to be ok Maddie" Owen whispered as he continued his assessment.

Then he noticed Caterina approaching him. "What happened" Caterina asked as she walked over to the other side of Madeline and began her assessment "we don't know she just collapsed" Owen said as he looked at her with pure fear in his eyes "all we know is that she is pregnant and we don't know how far along" Owen said as he held her hand "I do she's 8 months" Caterina said, which irritated Owen "you knew" Owen said angrily "I'm her OB so "Doctor, patient confidentiality, and she's an adult Owen, Caterina murmured as she stared at him. As they both continued argue Andrew yelled "guys," which caused them to stop arguing and look at him "she's bleeding" Andrew said which made his sister run to him

"Oh no," Caterina said as she noticed all the blood. "Book an OR," Caterina said as she glanced at her brother. She started pushing the gurney, but Owen stopped her. "It's going to be alright, Owen, I'll care after her," Caterina said as she placed her hand on Owen's arm and smiled at him before continuing. Owen stood there watching the elevator doors close before slumping against a wall and hiding his face with his hands as tears streamed down his cheeks before his father's death. Owen had vowed to watch after his mother and sisters, but he had failed. Megan had nearly died and Madeline and her baby had only a slim chance of survival. "Oh," Owen murmured as he wiped the tears away from his face and looked up to see Teddy standing above him looking down at him "what happened?" Teddy asked as she looked at Owen "Maddy is pregnant and she's haemorrhaging it's bad Teddy" Owen said as he burst into tears "I can't go through this again" Owen said as he cried into his hands and Teddy sat down beside him "it's going to be ok" Teddy said as she looked at Owen before he placed his head onto her shoulder and cried into "What happened where is she?" Tom said as he looked at them both. He realised the only person they could be sobbing over was Maddie because she wasn't here and she was Owen's sister.

As he spoke, he could feel tears forming in his eyes. Tom had never told her since she had arrived at the hospital that he was still in love with her. She was younger than him and he didn't realise that he had found love since his divorce from his ex-wife. "She's in surgery," Teddy said as she stood up, "Why?" Tom said, as he started to sound angry, "we can't tell you." Teddy said as she looked at him, "You are not my family." I'm sorry, Tom. " As she looked at Tom with a look on her face, Teddy said, "Tom!" Teddy shouted after him as he began to run around the hospital checking every ER before he found the ER she was in. He stood in the gallery watching the surgery before he realised what was going on. When he stood up, he saw them lift the baby from her stomach. "Oh god!" Tom said out loud.

Everything finally made sense the avoiding him and not speaking to him she was pregnant and it was his baby as he realised he collapsed onto his knees bursting into tears "Oh Maddie," Tom said as he covered his face with his hands and cried into them. "I'm so sorry," Tom said as he closed his eyes. "Please save her." "Oh Maddie," Tom said as he covered his face with his hands and cried into them.Tom said, hoping that if God was real, he would listen. "Oh God, please save her," Tom said. He stayed there for the whole surgery and didn't move until she did, following the gurney around the whole hospital. He sat there with her the whole night holding her hand. "I'm so sorry Maddie, this is my fault. If you didn't feel like you had to hide the pregnancy, maybe you wouldn't be like this now." Tom said as he squeezed her hand. "You have to fight for our child and because I love you, I should have told you sooner" Tom said as he looked at the woman he loved attached to the pipes, keeping her breathing, "you have to fight please." Tom said he placed her hand to his face and cried.

He spent every night there for a week, watching over her, not leaving her side. Until one night, he woke up from the chair he had been sleeping on, placing a kiss on her head and walking to the nicu. As he arrived, he stood there looking in, questionably. "Dr. Koracick, how can I help you?" the nurse said, questionably as she looked at him. "I've come to see how baby Hunt is doing," Tom said, tears in his eyes as he looked at her." A DNA test is needed. " Tom said as he looked at her "Are you able to take a blood sample from him?" Tom said "sure, whose blood are we testing against?" she wondered.The nurse said as we both stepped inside, "mine" Tom said, which shocked her before they both walked over to him, "am I able to hold him" Tom said as he looked at the nurse, "you can hold him while I take the blood sample," the nurse said as she handed Tom the small baby boy.

Tom sat there for hours waiting for the results before the nurse brought them back to him. "What are you doing in here Koracick?" Owen asked, seeming angry at his presence. "Stay away from that baby and stay away from my sister," Owen said, walking over to him. "And why would I stay away from my son?" Tom said, which shocked Owen. "What?" Owen said as he looked at him. "It's all here, read it for yourself" Tom said as he passed Owen the DNA results, Tom said, "it's not possible." "Well, it is now, do you mind leaving me and my son alone?" Tom said as he rocked the new born baby in his arms. "Hi" Tom whispered as Owen threw the paper and walked away. "You are with your daddy now, aren't you?" Tom said as he kissed his son on the head.