Extended Summary

"What is it with the Hunts
causing me so much hurt in my life"

Madeline Hunt, the youngest Hunt, did not follow in her mother's, sister's, and brother's footsteps by joining the army

Madeline Hunt, the youngest Hunt, did not follow in her mother's, sister's, and brother's footsteps by joining the army. After graduating from high school, she enrolled in medical school at the age of 14. Her mother referred to her as "her bright spark." After graduating from medical school at the age of 18, she began her internship at one of the country's top teaching hospitals and rose through the ranks to become chief of surgery at the age of 26, making her one of the youngest chief of surgery in the world, and she was admired by fellow surgeons across the country as a result.

When she aged 32, however, she decided to give up everything she had worked for after learning she was pregnant from a relationship she had recently ended with a man she loved. And she made the decision to go to Seattle, despite the fact that she didn't want to see her baby's father in the one place she believed he wouldn't be. However, after Madeline collapses and nearly dies, everyone, including the baby's father, learns about her pregnancy, which she had kept hidden for so long.